How can I get audio output from all speakers of my Sony home theatre,while viewing TV programmes through a set top box?

kramanc

Prominent
Jul 4, 2017
Kindly guide me to get audio out put from all five speakers of my Sony DVD home theatre. Right now, i get audio only from the L and R front speakers and the Sub Woofer.the other three (centre, SR and SL) are silent.
I tried using set top box for viewing TV and also tried playing audio CD in the home theatre. The results are the same.

Solution
Most normal TV programmes do not transmit any sort of 'true' surround sound in their broadcasts. So listening to a surround sound system on normal TV will only realise stereo at best (or will be converted by your A/V system) But the last bit you said is correct... If you watch a movie which has a surround sound encoded sound track, then you will achieve S/S.

Hope this helps.
K.

kramanc

Prominent
Jul 4, 2017

kramanc

Prominent
Jul 4, 2017
Thanks a lot.

Yes, I get your point. I set it to 'surround' mode, and I am getting output from all speakers, though not "surround" output.
Incidentally, when I play a movie in the DVD which has been recorded with surround sound, I think I am getting "surround" response from the speakers.

Most normal TV programmes do not transmit any sort of 'true' surround sound in their broadcasts. So listening to a surround sound system on normal TV will only realise stereo at best (or will be converted by your A/V system) But the last bit you said is correct... If you watch a movie which has a surround sound encoded sound track, then you will achieve S/S.

Hope this helps.
K.

Solution

kramanc

Prominent
Jul 4, 2017

kramanc

Prominent
Jul 4, 2017
It definitely helped to totally defog my mind. I was crestfallen that "three speakers" were absolutely silent, thereby frustrating my plans to strategically space out them in my entertainment space at home. Now I am ok with the normal output of the TV through all speakers (uniformly or with stereo effect, according to the available output from the set top box). Real surround sound effect shall be attained, when such DVD is played as rightly confirmed by you.
Thank you!

No problem, glad to help! ;)