how can i tell asus uefi to use my third hdd permanently as the first boot priority. Currently it shows the first and second h

Rayaldi

Estimable
Jul 21, 2015
shouldn't you able to to that in the BIOS? just move your third HDD to the top of the list

Enter BIOS by pressing F2 or DEL then go to Boot option then arrange your preferred boot priority

Jan 10, 2019
Thanks Rayaldi, that is exactly how I tried to solve my problem. But alas, when I tried to rearrange dtheyhe boot priority list, nothing happened. Would you be able to describe how to do it in detail? Although I am not a newcomer, I am 72 years old and might overlook something.

Rayaldi

Estimable
Jul 21, 2015
Strange, generally that should do the trick.

Please specify the model (not only brand) of your motherboard or laptop, so we can further narrow down the "how to"

Jan 10, 2019

Rayaldi, thanks for your swift reply. My motherboard is an ASUS F1A55-M LX3. I am able to enter into the Bios by pressing Delete during startup. Choosing the Boot Priority button shows me then 3 hdd's, 1 CDROM drive (which is actually a DVD Read/Write station, as well as choices to startup from UBUNTU or Windows10.
Windows10 is on SDA with a UEFI Boot partition, on a 250GB HDD, #1 in the top of the list
Ubuntu is on SDB , on a 1 TB HDD , #2 in the list
The 3rd HDD has a 2TB capacity which I use as my Back-Up facility; it shows as #3 in the list
What I try to establish is automatically booting from #2 (UBUNTU) and not to enter the bios with every startup of my system
By the way, after upgrading to UBUNTU 18.04 LTS shows GRUB2 no longer entry for Windows in the startup menu; only UBUNTU is visible.
Hope I give you relevant information and I'm looking forward for your reaction

Rayaldi

Estimable
Jul 21, 2015

I see that your motherboard already support EZ Mode, then arranging your boot priority should be easy you only need to drag your ubuntu bootloader to the left. Assuming you already did that, and save (just to make sure), I see no reason why it would boot into windows again.

Here's a picture i found in your motherboard web page
a9f0b2f5cd.jpg

Have you tried updating the grub from ubuntu? most of the time, it do the trick.

Simply load/open your windows partition (using explorer/caja or whatever they are called in ubuntu, since I used mint), then

Code:
sudo update-grub

Jan 10, 2019

Jan 10, 2019
Rayaldi, thanks for your suggestion, but again that is one of the may things I did.
The output of the sudo update-grub shows:

Aanmaken van GRUB-configuratiebestand...
Linux-schijfkopie gevonden: /boot/vmlinuz-4.15.0-43-generic
Initrd-schijfkopie gevonden: /boot/initrd.img-4.15.0-43-generic
Linux-schijfkopie gevonden: /boot/vmlinuz-4.15.0-42-generic
Initrd-schijfkopie gevonden: /boot/initrd.img-4.15.0-42-generic
voltooid

The dutch text element mean: preparing GRUB-config file (line #1) and
Ready (line #6)
So it does'nt even show the windows image

Although In EZ-mode the UBUNTU boot loader is already the most left left position but activating it brings to boot and not UBUNTU
Further for your information: in advanced mode and choosing the BOOT button, there are 4 possible boot priorities listed that can be enabled/disabled.But the only possible choices that can be made for each of the 4 positions are disable, SDA or CDROM.
In addition to that, the window shows 2 "override boot priorities" which allow choosing SDB and SDC. Evoking the SDB override results in booting UBUNTU.
However, I cannot select either of these and bring it to the "normal" boot list. Neither did I find a way to make such a choice permanent, nor bring it to the EZ-mode boot -priority list in the bottom of the screen.
So, what is the magic solution?

Jan 10, 2019
Rayaldi,
One correction to my answer:
Although In EZ-mode the UBUNTU boot loader is already the most at the most left position, activating it results in booting WINDOWS and not UBUNTU