how can I transition from 3.5mm to HDMI?

schill

Commendable
Jul 5, 2016
My surround sound amp is connected optically to my Comcast box. However, Netflix comes directly to my smart Samsung TV. In order to get the TV audio to the amp I must use a 3.5mm audio output. But the only available audio input on the amp is HDMI. How do I make that transition?

Rocky Bennett

Respectable
May 25, 2016

Only if you want to watch the news in 5.1, which is highly unlikely. USAFRet is correct, that is the best option.

USAFRet

Illustrious

And here, the amp and 5.1 is the default audio for the TV.
My above description is exactly how my house is wired.

Rocky Bennett

Respectable
May 25, 2016
USAFRet, that set up works for some people but some people are reluctant to turn on their amps when watching TV. For me, I keep my amp on 24/7 and I have since 1975 when I bought my Phase Linear amp and pre-amp. I run Marantz now, but it is still on 24.7, I never shut my amp off.

USAFRet

Illustrious

Oh, I get that. I was just offering a different connection path for his devices.

In most TVs the optical out is fixed level and active even if the TV speakers are turned on. When you want surround sound turn the TV volume down and the surround sound on. Reverse for TV speakers only.
Most TV programming is 2 channel or even mono. A good surround system will be clearer than the built in TV speakers so even if there is no surround information or big bass dialogue will be more natural and the added clarity means you could turn the volume down and still understand the words.

schill

Commendable
Jul 5, 2016

Now I'm told I could use a 3.5mm/VGA/HDMI converter (see https://www.amazon.com/Generic-3-5mm-Female-Adapter-Converter/dp/B00FHHQW4E/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1468090421&sr=8-11&keywords=3.5mm+to+hdmi) with a Dummy VGA plug

OR I could use an optical splitter by using the optical TV output and the Comcast box optical output to the Surround Sound. I'm told that this wouldn't work because both feeds will be on at the same time when using the Box. Do you agree?