How can I use a PAL TV set to watch USA (ATSC/NTSC?) free air TV signals?

anon22

Honorable
Jan 9, 2014
Hi I have two televisions I bought while living in Germany.
For sake of argument let's go ahead and rule out selling them and buying US market TV's. I'm not going to do it.

They are the following models:
Sony Bravia KDL 40BX420
LG 47LD450-ZA

I recently moved to the US and would like to pick up the free air signal via antenna on these TV's. I connected a "digital antenna" and the television doesn't get any signal. I investigate a bit on the web and learn that my television sets are configured for PAL or DVB-T signals whereas the USA free air signals are in ATSC format.

Is this true and if so, what do I need for a workaround? I can find ATSC to PAL converter boxes on Amazon. Is that all i will need? plug the antenna into the converter box input and then the box output to the TV's?

Also I have US market Wii and PS3 connected to both of these TV's with no issues. Are these devices dual formatted or are my televisions dual formatted and there is some other reason why I am not receiving USA free air signals on them?

Solution
Solution

anon22

Honorable
Jan 9, 2014

I see. My thinking was the converter would convert the signal so that the built in PAL/DVB-T tuner could manage it, but you are saying it doesn't work that way?

Feb 11, 2018
Hi, I am facing a similar situation with my tv and I was wondering if you managed to solve this issue? I had the same reasoning.... thank you