How could I fix this humming/vibration noise from my PC?

xhaydenx

Estimable
Oct 10, 2014
So my PC has this humming noise that is driving me crazy. I don't really know what's causing it but I've isolated it to somewhere on the front my PC.

I've tried without both of the front intake fans in and it made no difference. It was really noticeable when I have the side on and the front door closed. When I open the door it stops. Case is a Fractal Design R3 with some modifications (Cut out the HDD tray that was right below the DVD drive bay)

I've attached a pic. I've noticed a few things:

Just to note: That drive tray at the top doesn't have a DVD drive. Instead I have a HDD mounted in there on a bracket. My SSD is actually mounted on the underside of that whole cage with blu-tack.

There is a USB stick at the front of the PC which you can see in the pic. If I have anything plugged in at the front and push back on it with a little pressure towards the back of the PC then the vibrations/hum stops.

What should I do here?

g5u04m1.jpg

Solution
Welcome to the wonderful world of resonance. Vibration in computer cases can start from new or might not happen for years.
My case will be fine for weeks then for no apparent reason start to hum. Every little vibration can slowly loosen parts in your computer. even bumping or moving your case can start things off.

You can get dampening mounts for hard drives, fans and other parts that have a mechanical action.
Have a look at http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l1/g7/Sound_Dampening.html
Not endorsing that company, just as an indication of some of the things out there to reduce the chance of noise.

Good Luck.

xhaydenx

Estimable
Oct 10, 2014

Yep, turns out it is the HDD. I unplugged everything at the front one by one except for the SSD as I figure it can't make any noise and it is definitely the HDD.

Is that something HDDs do when they're going bad? I have had this one for years now. Considering getting a second SSD and going full SSD (Is that even a good idea?) as I do have 2 external HDDs for backing stuff up.

SkyNetRising

Estimable
Jan 4, 2016
That's normal HDD operation that it vibrates. There are rotating parts inside after all.
Is it possible that after those case modifications, you mentioned, DVD drive cage has become loose somehow?
Or maybe HDD bracket is not secured?

xhaydenx

Estimable
Oct 10, 2014

I'd have thought something like that too, but this actually isn't a new build. Had it for a few years now and I haven't noticed this vibration/hum until now. The only recent change is that I replaced the two intake fans because they were starting to get old and click a little.

Ruggo181

Commendable
Apr 17, 2016
Welcome to the wonderful world of resonance. Vibration in computer cases can start from new or might not happen for years.
My case will be fine for weeks then for no apparent reason start to hum. Every little vibration can slowly loosen parts in your computer. even bumping or moving your case can start things off.

You can get dampening mounts for hard drives, fans and other parts that have a mechanical action.
Have a look at http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l1/g7/Sound_Dampening.html
Not endorsing that company, just as an indication of some of the things out there to reduce the chance of noise.

Good Luck.

Solution

xhaydenx

Estimable
Oct 10, 2014

Hey, thanks for the input. Yeah, the noise annoys me a fair bit. I'm pretty fussy though.

I'll check out the rubber mounts. They seem promising. Not sure if they'll fit on my HDD mounting bracket.

I'm considering losing the HDD altogether and just using my 120 gb SSD and 2 external HDDS.