How did they take this photo?

G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 21:16:52 -0000, "Craig" <me@here.com> wrote:

>http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=759763
>
>A photo of the new A380.
>
>I'd like to know, how did the photographer get the plane so sharp, in such a
>dark environment. OK, maybe a slow shutter speed, but in that case, howcome
>the people moving are not blurred??

The plane is light-colored, almost white, so it reflects a lot of
light.

I think the photog just metered off of the aircraft and didn't worry
about anything else. The aircraft is so reflective, and because it
was probably all lite-up for the event, a slow shutter speed was not
necessarily needed, so because of that, the people and ceiling are
dark and in the shadows.

Why don't you send the photographer (Michael Eggenschwiler) an email
and ask him for the specifics? A point of contact is listed on the
referenced page.

-Astro

---
AstroPax Photography
http://nikon.astropax.com
---
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Craig wrote:
>
> http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=759763
>
> A photo of the new A380.
>
> I'd like to know, how did the photographer get the plane so sharp, in such a
> dark environment. OK, maybe a slow shutter speed, but in that case, howcome
> the people moving are not blurred??

look at the sharpening on 'airbus'.
talk about a tad excessive...
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 17:09:23 -0800, Crownfield <Crownfield@cox.net>
wrote:

>look at the sharpening on 'airbus'.
>talk about a tad excessive...

I agree. It's a nice photo, but not exactly earth-shattering, IMO.

-Astro
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Craig" <me@here.com> writes:

> http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=759763
>
> A photo of the new A380.
>
> I'd like to know, how did the photographer get the plane so sharp, in such a
> dark environment. OK, maybe a slow shutter speed, but in that case, howcome
> the people moving are not blurred??

I would imagine a combination of multiple strobe lights in the rafters and
probably some amount of photoshop type editing. I vaguelly recall reading an
article in the National Geographic magazine when I was getting my snow tires
removed in spring, where they had an article on some plane (B2? I don't
remember), and they had a sidebar about the photographer and how he set it up,
and the answer was lots of strobes.

--
Michael Meissner
email: mrmnews@the-meissners.org
http://www.the-meissners.org
 

Craig

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2004
34
0
18,580
0
Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Thanks for that. Fired off a question to the man.

PS: Your site has some pretty good ones!
"AstroPax" <astro@astropax.com> wrote in message
news:5ph5v0lnf8moohfnmefk8rl7mot8fclhuk@4ax.com...
> On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 21:16:52 -0000, "Craig" <me@here.com> wrote:
>
> >http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=759763
> >
> >A photo of the new A380.
> >
> >I'd like to know, how did the photographer get the plane so sharp, in
such a
> >dark environment. OK, maybe a slow shutter speed, but in that case,
howcome
> >the people moving are not blurred??
>
> The plane is light-colored, almost white, so it reflects a lot of
> light.
>
> I think the photog just metered off of the aircraft and didn't worry
> about anything else. The aircraft is so reflective, and because it
> was probably all lite-up for the event, a slow shutter speed was not
> necessarily needed, so because of that, the people and ceiling are
> dark and in the shadows.
>
> Why don't you send the photographer (Michael Eggenschwiler) an email
> and ask him for the specifics? A point of contact is listed on the
> referenced page.
>
> -Astro
>
> ---
> AstroPax Photography
> http://nikon.astropax.com
> ---
>
 

Zeitgeist

Distinguished
May 19, 2004
29
0
18,580
0
Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

> Craig wrote:
> >
> > http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=759763
> >
> > A photo of the new A380.
> >
> > I'd like to know, how did the photographer get the plane so sharp, in
such a
> > dark environment. OK, maybe a slow shutter speed, but in that case,
howcome
> > the people moving are not blurred??
>
> look at the sharpening on 'airbus'.
> talk about a tad excessive...

excessive sharpening probably happened when they reduced the image for web
page viewing. There is usually a big difference when you reduce an image
from megapixels to kilopixels, I give them a sharpening filter to make the
image pull together and don't worry about fine details like that, cause
there aren't any.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Craig writes:

> http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=759763
>
> A photo of the new A380.
>
> I'd like to know, how did the photographer get the plane so sharp, in such a
> dark environment. OK, maybe a slow shutter speed, but in that case, howcome
> the people moving are not blurred??

I suspect the environment was actually very well lit.

--
Transpose hotmail and mxsmanic in my e-mail address to reach me directly.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:8rj5v0d4usmr3qhre2jvdpoq0nl480o4tp@4ax.com...
> Craig writes:
>
>> http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=759763
>>
>> A photo of the new A380.
>>
>> I'd like to know, how did the photographer get the plane so sharp, in
>> such a
>> dark environment. OK, maybe a slow shutter speed, but in that case,
>> howcome
>> the people moving are not blurred??
>
> I suspect the environment was actually very well lit.


As it was lit for TV, still shooters should have had no problems getting
shots.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

The photographer (who was/is a professional) used a view camera (4" x 5"
.... or maybe even 8" x 10" ... using sheet film), and employed "swings and
tilts" to correct the focus. The picture was also taken with a high quality
lens (such as one of the high end Schneider Symmars) and a small aperture.

Piece of cake ... using the correct equipment.





"Craig" <me@here.com> wrote in message
news:41f2c2c8$0$15396$db0fefd9@news.zen.co.uk...
> http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=759763
>
> A photo of the new A380.
>
> I'd like to know, how did the photographer get the plane so sharp, in
such a
> dark environment. OK, maybe a slow shutter speed, but in that case,
howcome
> the people moving are not blurred??
>
>
 

Jose

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2004
23
0
18,560
0
Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Do you know this for a fact or just guessing?

The lights in the rafters certainly look like a digital shot to me.

"RSD99" <rsdwla.NOSPAM@gte.net> wrote in message
news:EsBId.11785$ef6.2309@trnddc07...
> The photographer (who was/is a professional) used a view camera (4" x 5"
> ... or maybe even 8" x 10" ... using sheet film), and employed "swings and
> tilts" to correct the focus. The picture was also taken with a high
> quality
> lens (such as one of the high end Schneider Symmars) and a small aperture.
>
> Piece of cake ... using the correct equipment.
>
>
>
>
>
> "Craig" <me@here.com> wrote in message
> news:41f2c2c8$0$15396$db0fefd9@news.zen.co.uk...
>> http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=759763
>>
>> A photo of the new A380.
>>
>> I'd like to know, how did the photographer get the plane so sharp, in
> such a
>> dark environment. OK, maybe a slow shutter speed, but in that case,
> howcome
>> the people moving are not blurred??
>>
>>
>
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Craig" <me@here.com> wrote in message
news:41f2c2c8$0$15396$db0fefd9@news.zen.co.uk...
> http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=759763
>
> A photo of the new A380.
>
> I'd like to know, how did the photographer get the plane so sharp, in such
a
> dark environment. OK, maybe a slow shutter speed, but in that case,
howcome
> the people moving are not blurred??
>
That's oversharpened - look at the white halos.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

RSD99 writes:

> The photographer (who was/is a professional) used a view camera (4" x 5"
> ... or maybe even 8" x 10" ... using sheet film), and employed "swings and
> tilts" to correct the focus. The picture was also taken with a high quality
> lens (such as one of the high end Schneider Symmars) and a small aperture.

It was taken with an inexpensive digital camera, judging by the purple
fringing around light sources.

--
Transpose hotmail and mxsmanic in my e-mail address to reach me directly.
 

musty

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2004
233
0
18,830
0
Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"AstroPax" <astro@astropax.com> wrote in message
news:5ph5v0lnf8moohfnmefk8rl7mot8fclhuk@4ax.com...
> On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 21:16:52 -0000, "Craig" <me@here.com> wrote:
>
> >http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=759763
> >
> >A photo of the new A380.
> >
> >I'd like to know, how did the photographer get the plane so sharp, in
such a
> >dark environment. OK, maybe a slow shutter speed, but in that case,
howcome
> >the people moving are not blurred??
>
> The plane is light-colored, almost white, so it reflects a lot of
> light.

That by the way tends to under-expose an image. Metering off a very
reflective object tells the camera meter there is more light than actually
required. On the opposite end, a black object (high light absorption) leads
to over-exposed images since the black fooled the camera into thinking there
is less light.

But, back to the OP's question. If you look at the image, there is nothing
surprising here:

1) The plane is lit reasonably well by lighting in the building
2) The people (who you are surprised are not blurred), are horribly
under-exposed (possibly due to metering off the reflective while plane).
This is ok since the shooter wants to make note of the plane and not the
people. I would not call this "incorrect" exposure.

Also notice the CA around the spot lights (should have been fixed in PS).

Now, had the people been exposed such that they are visible AND they were
not blurry, there are explanations such as the use of a neutral density
filter (or graduated ND). A graduated ND filter could have made the peolple
visible and the plane correctly exposed.

Thanks
Musty.

>
> I think the photog just metered off of the aircraft and didn't worry
> about anything else. The aircraft is so reflective, and because it
> was probably all lite-up for the event, a slow shutter speed was not
> necessarily needed, so because of that, the people and ceiling are
> dark and in the shadows.
>
> Why don't you send the photographer (Michael Eggenschwiler) an email
> and ask him for the specifics? A point of contact is listed on the
> referenced page.
>
> -Astro
>
> ---
> AstroPax Photography
> http://nikon.astropax.com
> ---
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Michael Meissner wrote:
> "Craig" <me@here.com> writes:
>
>
>>http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=759763
>>
>>A photo of the new A380.
>>
>>I'd like to know, how did the photographer get the plane so sharp, in such a
>>dark environment. OK, maybe a slow shutter speed, but in that case, howcome
>>the people moving are not blurred??
>
>
> I would imagine a combination of multiple strobe lights in the rafters and
> probably some amount of photoshop type editing. I vaguelly recall reading an
> article in the National Geographic magazine when I was getting my snow tires
> removed in spring, where they had an article on some plane (B2? I don't
> remember), and they had a sidebar about the photographer and how he set it up,
> and the answer was lots of strobes.
>
The fact that the plane is painted white certainly helps. LOTS of light
on it!


--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

The hanger may be a little dark but that plane is well lit.
Ken
"Craig" <me@here.com> wrote in message
news:41f2c2c8$0$15396$db0fefd9@news.zen.co.uk...
> http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=759763
>
> A photo of the new A380.
>
> I'd like to know, how did the photographer get the plane so sharp, in such
> a
> dark environment. OK, maybe a slow shutter speed, but in that case,
> howcome
> the people moving are not blurred??
>
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Michael Meissner writes:

> I would imagine a combination of multiple strobe lights in the rafters and
> probably some amount of photoshop type editing. I vaguelly recall reading an
> article in the National Geographic magazine when I was getting my snow tires
> removed in spring, where they had an article on some plane (B2? I don't
> remember), and they had a sidebar about the photographer and how he set it up,
> and the answer was lots of strobes.

Nothing was set up here. It was just a snapshot.

--
Transpose hotmail and mxsmanic in my e-mail address to reach me directly.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Mxsmanic wrote:
>
> Michael Meissner writes:
>
> > I would imagine a combination of multiple strobe lights in the rafters and
> > probably some amount of photoshop type editing. I vaguelly recall reading an
> > article in the National Geographic magazine when I was getting my snow tires
> > removed in spring, where they had an article on some plane (B2? I don't
> > remember), and they had a sidebar about the photographer and how he set it up,
> > and the answer was lots of strobes.
>
> Nothing was set up here. It was just a snapshot.

and how do you know this?

perhps 'unsubstantiated opinion' fits better?


>
> --
> Transpose hotmail and mxsmanic in my e-mail address to reach me directly.
 

drifter

Distinguished
May 15, 2004
87
0
18,580
0
Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 21:16:52 -0000, "Craig" <me@here.com> wrote:

>http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=759763
>
>A photo of the new A380.
>
>I'd like to know, how did the photographer get the plane so sharp, in such a
>dark environment. OK, maybe a slow shutter speed, but in that case, howcome
>the people moving are not blurred??

I think it was just a lucky snapshot, sort of like this one
http://www.pbase.com/zespectre/image/37533126


Drifter
"I've been here, I've been there..."
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Do let us know if he replies...

Craig wrote:
> Thanks for that. Fired off a question to the man.
>
> PS: Your site has some pretty good ones!
> "AstroPax" <astro@astropax.com> wrote in message
> news:5ph5v0lnf8moohfnmefk8rl7mot8fclhuk@4ax.com...
>
>>On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 21:16:52 -0000, "Craig" <me@here.com> wrote:
>>
>>
>>>http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=759763
>>>
>>>A photo of the new A380.
>>>
>>>I'd like to know, how did the photographer get the plane so sharp, in
>
> such a
>
>>>dark environment. OK, maybe a slow shutter speed, but in that case,
>
> howcome
>
>>>the people moving are not blurred??
>>
>>The plane is light-colored, almost white, so it reflects a lot of
>>light.
>>
>>I think the photog just metered off of the aircraft and didn't worry
>>about anything else. The aircraft is so reflective, and because it
>>was probably all lite-up for the event, a slow shutter speed was not
>>necessarily needed, so because of that, the people and ceiling are
>>dark and in the shadows.
>>
>>Why don't you send the photographer (Michael Eggenschwiler) an email
>>and ask him for the specifics? A point of contact is listed on the
>>referenced page.
>>
>>-Astro
>>
>>---
>>AstroPax Photography
>>http://nikon.astropax.com
>>---
>>
>
>
>
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Digital Cameras 6
I Digital Cameras 3
R Digital Cameras 2
G Digital Cameras 0
M Digital Cameras 3
T Digital Cameras 5
mprospero Digital Cameras 2
M Digital Cameras 2
G Digital Cameras 0
P Digital Cameras 2
G Digital Cameras 1
S Digital Cameras 3
G Digital Cameras 0
G Digital Cameras 0
H Digital Cameras 5
G Digital Cameras 0
G Digital Cameras 0
4 Digital Cameras 1
P Digital Cameras 1
O Digital Cameras 1

ASK THE COMMUNITY