How do I allocate my system usage so I have maximum power for gaming? (DESKTOP, could not find DESKTOP CATEGORY)

Atomizer

Estimable
Jun 2, 2014
Hi, here is some of my system:

GPU: Zotac GTX970
CPU: i5-4690k quad core, 3.5ghz
CPU cooler: H60 liquid cooler
RAM: 8gig 1600mhz, single stick Hyperfury x
MOBO: MSI Z971 AC (mini ITX) http://ca.msi.com/product/motherboard/Z97I-AC.html#hero-overview
SSD: 256gb SanDisk
PSU: 750watt evga
Monitor: 144hz BenQ 1080*1920 display http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824014376
Running Win 7

My question is what programs that auto-start in Task manager can/should be shut down when gaming to give my system maximum performance? I keep running into annoying low frame rates because I use Chrome, and Skype and other applications before starting a game, then I go to shut them all down but the frame rate suffers anyways. Also Has anyone attempted an overclock with a similar system?

Games I like to use:
GTA 5
Tomb Raider
Star Citizen
Star Craft 2
Space Engineers
Witcher 3

All of these games seem to respond when I close apps in task manager and I would like to shut off as many programs as possible to achieve more available CPU usage for gaming, without going overboard and causing instability and crashing by closing system applications.

Another issue is, how do I best avoid screen tearing? Things like Youtube and practically all of the games I run have this problem, even at low 30fps movies screen tearing is annoying and I can't seem to avoid it :( Is there anything other than Vsync which I could use to prevent this problem? I'm using adaptive Vsync with Nvidia control panel, and it works for some things but still doesn't cover everything.

Overclocking suggestions are welcome, but I want a stable OC, I hate having any artifacts in my system, so modest overclock are preferred.

Finally, one small gripe, if anyone knows how to fix this: My system won't stay in sleep mode for more than an hour or so. It seems to randomly start running again and come back to full operating mode... How do I fix this?

Solution
There are some background applications that have to run for Windows to work properly, but some of them are superfluous and unnecessary parts of idle or hidden programs (Skype for example runs in the background constantly). The way you keep it from running unless you open it is to disable it in Startup configuration. I think you run msconfig.exe and go to the startup tab and disable Skype-related apps. You could do the same for Chrome, although I'm not familiar with Chrome's background programs. You can also disable any other programs you don't want running, but be advised if you disable them from starting, you might have issues with those programs. As far as game performance, you should get good performance with your system. It could be...

sirstinky

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012
There are some background applications that have to run for Windows to work properly, but some of them are superfluous and unnecessary parts of idle or hidden programs (Skype for example runs in the background constantly). The way you keep it from running unless you open it is to disable it in Startup configuration. I think you run msconfig.exe and go to the startup tab and disable Skype-related apps. You could do the same for Chrome, although I'm not familiar with Chrome's background programs. You can also disable any other programs you don't want running, but be advised if you disable them from starting, you might have issues with those programs. As far as game performance, you should get good performance with your system. It could be something else slowing the games down.

Solution