How do i connect my hp mini laptop 110-112nr to the internet using a cable modem

misterdeeen

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
how do i connect my hp mini laptop 110-112nr to the internet using a cable modem when my cable modem is already connected to my desktop computer? I want to have them both connected to the same cable internet. What do i need to do?

G

You could try using Internet Connection Sharing (see Windows Help) linking one computer to the other by an ethernet crossover cable. It's feasible but inelegant .

I would use a router (probably with wireless) designed to work with cable.

Ben_20

Estimable
Sep 3, 2015
So basically you said, you have a computer connected to the internet, through a hard wire connection to your modem, and you want to basically use that same internet connection on two devices, the one computer you're using it on right now, and your HP mini netbook/laptop. If I'm right, and that's the case, then if both devices have a Wi-Fi card, and the one you currently have connected to your cable modem uses Windows 7, just create a bridged connection between you're ethernet card and your Wi-Fi card (and use that Wi-Fi, on the HP mini). To do this, go into your "Network and Sharing center", and then on the panel on the left hand side of that window, click "change adapter settings". Once you're there, select the one Ethernet network adapter you're using to connect to your cable modem, as well as your Wi-Fi card, then right click on either one of them, and in the context menu that appears (note: if you're not an administrator, you will need the administrator's password to do this, as it would be a system-wide change) click bridge connections.