How do I determine if a TV will automatically switch inputs to a DVD player?

charles_i

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2013
I want to buy a new television (probably LED) for a senior. This person is easily confused by remote settings. Most new TVs have several inputs and in order to play a DVD you need to manually switch the TV input to the DVD player. This often requires scrolling through several inputs to find the one that is connected to the DVD player.

I need a TV model that will automatically switch to the DVD player when a DVD is inserted. The DVD does not have to autostart. It's OK to have to press Play on the DVD remote to play a title, but switching between multiple inputs to find the DVD player and then back to the TV is too confusing for someone in their 80s.

Is this a feature that I can search for when I'm shopping? If so, what is it called?

Thanks
Charles

Solution

this was what i explained in my first post. the DVD player and TV will have to have the HDMI-CEC feature. ifonly one of the devices has the feature...

vrumor

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
Sorry to intrude, but captaincharisma, does this also apply to turning a TV on? Like a monitor goes into standby, and when you power the PC on, monitor turns on. Does CEC allow this with TVs? I looked at a website, didnt answer my question, ill keep digging, but maybe you already know.

captaincharisma

Distinguished

not entirly sure what you are asking but it you just turn the TV on it will not automatically turn the DVD player on. maybbe if the TV comes with a universal remote you could set it up to control the DVD player as well. also when turning off the DVD player the TV will switch to another input, it will not turn the tv off or put it in standby

charles_i

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2013
To clarify, my question has nothing to do with turning on or off the TV. The process I want is this:

1) TV is already on and tuned to a cable TV channel with a set top box (so it's input is on STB).
2) When the DVD player is turned on the TV input automatically recognizes it and switches the input to DVD player - no action is need on the TV remote.
3) When the DVD player power is turned off the TV automatically switches back to the STB input - again no action is needed on the TV remote.

Especially, no scrolling between several inputs to find DVD and STB.

Hope that helps.
Charles

captaincharisma

Distinguished

this was what i explained in my first post. the DVD player and TV will have to have the HDMI-CEC feature. ifonly one of the devices has the feature it will not work. if the devices do not have this feature then look into harmony universal remote controls

Solution

charles_i

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2013
Thank you! I see here that often this feature is hidden or disabled and that it can be called different names.

Can anyone recommend a 32" or 40" TV and DVD to implement this? Is it best to have both the same manufacturer? This senior will not be using Netflix or any other inputs - so the simpler the better.

Thanks

carolineaa

Prominent
Nov 6, 2017

I have a similar problem. Elderly parent who is also very visually impaired. I've found HDMI-CEC on the Tv but no idea how to find if a DVD player has it. I've just bought a Sony DVD but there don't seem to be many settings at all. How do I find out if a DVD player has that setting before buying it?