How do I find all files named <folder>.exe and remove them automatically?

dhruv990

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
Hi,

So a virus attacked my laptop hard drive and removed the boot sector. I got my data recovered as for some reason the HDD failed as well. Now the problem is that my comp was attacked by a virus that created <folder>.exe file where folder is the name of the folder.

Now I could just remove the files manually, but i have over 9000 folders so you can see its going to be a painful process.

I DO NOT NEED TO REMOVE IT FROM MY COMPUTER AS I HAVE INSTALLED A NEW HDD WITH A FRESH INSTALL OF WINDOWS ON IT.

So given that I boot into safe mode apart from an antivirus software is there any other program that can help me find just the exe files that are named the same as the folder?

Thanks for the help :)

rahuljonline

Estimable
Nov 6, 2015
I have a similar problem. My old hard disk has these (folder).exe and I can't delete these. No anti-virus detects anything wrong in them. I guess these are redundant folders. I've tried a bunch of softwares to delete them, but failed.

dhruv990

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
Well I found one way to do so in my system. All the files that were viruses had the exact same size, so all I had to do was search with the following parameter "ext:exe, size:****KB" (without the quotes and replacing the **** with the file size) and I managed to find all the infective exes.

So try and find a common parameter between the files search them using these parameters, then double check to make sure no important exe came up in the search along with the bad ones and then delete. :)

TRENDING THREADS