How do I fix a broken circuit board for a speaker?

BlueDino123

Estimable
Jul 1, 2014
I was trying to fix a speaker that I had lying around the house. It had a very loud bass and you could hardly hear the voices/vocals. I was opening it up and a black rectangle piece came off of the circuit board. It has the letters and numbers TDA7240A 8AB631 SING on the back of the piece. It is from an IBM speaker with a tag that says:
MULTI-MEDIA AUDIO COMPONENT
MODEL: J-905AV IBM P/N: 07H1679
Input: 120VAC 60Hz, 0.5A

How do I fix the circuit board? Can I just get a replacement capacitor or do I need to replace the entire circuit board? Also, do you know what could be causing the speaker to have a loud bass and low vocals? It only has a dial for the volume and it doesn't have a dial for the bass.

Solution
the part that fell off is an Amplifier IC. I dont know how it would have fallen off? you can try re-solder it if your keen, but be aware of the dangers that come with working on electrical equipment if you dont know what your doing. Even when unplugged from mains power voltage can remain in charged capacitors long after it has been off, especially if there is an electrical fault. Given the age of the speakers, just ditch them and buy a new pair.

iam2thecrowe

Distinguished
the part that fell off is an Amplifier IC. I dont know how it would have fallen off? you can try re-solder it if your keen, but be aware of the dangers that come with working on electrical equipment if you dont know what your doing. Even when unplugged from mains power voltage can remain in charged capacitors long after it has been off, especially if there is an electrical fault. Given the age of the speakers, just ditch them and buy a new pair.

Solution