how do i get back microsoft office after i refresh

Akira Husbands

Estimable
Aug 28, 2014
hi, i don't know a whole lot about computers so i was hoping that someone here could help me.

i recently bought the HP pavillion sleekbook 14 which came with windows 8 already installed. a few days ago the pc did an automatic update when i shut down. when i tried to use the pc again it attempted to configure the updates but i got an error message saying "failure to configure updates, reverting changes, do not turn off your computer". it stayed on that screen for about 2 hours with no change.

i then called the HP customer care center and the representative instructed me to refresh my pc. he warned that my apps would be deleted but i still agreed to do the refresh since i didnt know another way to get the pc to work. after the refresh my pc is now working fine.

however, my microsoft office is gone. is there a way to get it back without having to go back without having to go back to the person that installed it for me? i am a student and i need the office products. please help.

Solution
According to the Microsoft article, a refresh does not delete programs, check in: C:\Program files\Microsoft Office. If the Microsoft Office folder is stil there and contains the Office files, it may be only the shortcuts were deleted, and all you need to do is create new shortcuts.

If the Office folder is not present, unfortunately there is nothing you can do to recover Microsoft Office. The suggestion to refresh Windows was not necessary, a Startup Repair may have been enough to fix the issue. You can run it without a Windows disk from the Safe Mode options.. the option also appears sometimes right after the BIOS post as an option to a normal Windows startup.

You will have to install Office again... in the meantime you can...

Chicano

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
According to the Microsoft article, a refresh does not delete programs, check in: C:\Program files\Microsoft Office. If the Microsoft Office folder is stil there and contains the Office files, it may be only the shortcuts were deleted, and all you need to do is create new shortcuts.

If the Office folder is not present, unfortunately there is nothing you can do to recover Microsoft Office. The suggestion to refresh Windows was not necessary, a Startup Repair may have been enough to fix the issue. You can run it without a Windows disk from the Safe Mode options.. the option also appears sometimes right after the BIOS post as an option to a normal Windows startup.

You will have to install Office again... in the meantime you can install a free Office alternative such as Kingsoft Office Suite.. it's a 100% compatible with Microsoft Office and it has the same toolbars, icons, functions and menus so you don't have to learn anything additional to Microsoft Office.

Kingsoft Office Suite
http://www.kingsoftstore.com/download-office/index

How to refresh, reset, or restore your PC
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/restore-refresh-reset-pc

Solution