How do i go about removing Adchoice popups?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hazel ludlow

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013
hullo...

as of this morning, all of my browsers now have AdChoice pop ups, well, popping up. I have run Malware Anti/Adaware/JRT/MS Malicious, to no avail. Searching for help, i get nothing but upsellers and very vague YouTube videos on how to remove the virus. Any help with this would be great

bests

TUTENKAMUN

Estimable
Apr 8, 2015
I read all the postings on here with much interest. Nevertheless, if the adverts that pop up on your internet explorer or google search engines say 'AdChoices', they are NOT removeable. This is because: 1) They are there due to your browsing history interests. If you look closely, you will notice that the adverts that pop-up have a very close relationship with what you have viwed in the past, whether it was clothing related, educationally inclined or apps that you view and all that sort. 2) They are controlled by Microsoft and the ONLY thing you can do is choose whether you want the adverts to be related to what you have viewed in the past (personalised), or random adverts that Microsoft can allow/choose to appear on your screen. Sometimes they pick up words from your email subject titles and sometimes direct from email content and it is no secret. Those that underline in green on all search engines ARE malware and they can be removed using several of the freely available anti-malware software. But be very careful not to download free software that will actually add onto the problems.
More details on the following link: http://choice.microsoft.com/en-GB

Another solution is to simply but COMPLETELY uninstall and re-install the browser afresh. When you re-install the browser, all the add-ons would not be there. Alternatively, you can reset the browser to its original state when you first had it. In the case of chrome, you go to the top right hand corner of the browser and left-click on the three horizontal bars. This will bring you to the choices where you can left-click SETTING. Right at the bottom of the settings page, left-click on ADVANCED SETTINGS. The advanced setting will allow you to view a full page of the settings. Right at the foot of the page, left-click on 'RESET SETTINGS'. After that, your browser is good to go with no add-ons.

Good luck with a ads free browser.

TUTENKAMUN

Estimable
Apr 8, 2015
I read all the postings on here with much interest. Nevertheless, if the adverts that pop up on your internet explorer or google search engines say 'AdChoices', they are NOT removeable. This is because: 1) They are there due to your browsing history interests. If you look closely, you will notice that the adverts that pop-up have a very close relationship with what you have viwed in the past, whether it was clothing related, educationally inclined or apps that you view and all that sort. 2) They are controlled by Microsoft and the ONLY thing you can do is choose whether you want the adverts to be related to what you have viewed in the past (personalised), or random adverts that Microsoft can allow/choose to appear on your screen. Sometimes they pick up words from your email subject titles and sometimes direct from email content and it is no secret. Those that underline in green on all search engines ARE malware and they can be removed using several of the freely available anti-malware software. But be very careful not to download free software that will actually add onto the problems.
More details on the following link: http://choice.microsoft.com/en-GB

Another solution is to simply but COMPLETELY uninstall and re-install the browser afresh. When you re-install the browser, all the add-ons would not be there. Alternatively, you can reset the browser to its original state when you first had it. In the case of chrome, you go to the top right hand corner of the browser and left-click on the three horizontal bars. This will bring you to the choices where you can left-click SETTING. Right at the bottom of the settings page, left-click on ADVANCED SETTINGS. The advanced setting will allow you to view a full page of the settings. Right at the foot of the page, left-click on 'RESET SETTINGS'. After that, your browser is good to go with no add-ons.

Good luck with a ads free browser.

Jul 1, 2015
THIS KILLED AD CHOICES!

CLICK ON THE LITTLE LETTERING "AD CHOICES" in it's dumb pop up box.

It takes you to it's dumb webpage where you get to read a long page of info.

OR YOU CAN JUST SCROLL DOWN UNTIL YOU SEE THE BIG RED BUTTON THAT ALLOWS YOU TO "OPT OUT"

CLICK THE OPT OUT BUTTON PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!!!!!!
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

God Bless You, shot34ever

Jul 1, 2015
shot34ever nailed it with his post...COMPLETELY FIXED. AdChoices gone forever by simply clicking on their title, visiting their page, and opting out.

CLICK ON THE LITTLE LETTERING "AD CHOICES" in it's dumb pop up box.

It takes you to it's dumb webpage where you get to read a long page of info.

OR YOU CAN JUST SCROLL DOWN UNTIL YOU SEE THE BIG RED BUTTON THAT ALLOWS YOU TO "OPT OUT"

CLICK THE OPT OUT BUTTON PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!!!!!!

Worked for me and shot34ever...hopefully it works for YOU too! So pumped it finally worked!!
July 1st 2015

Joe Naz

Estimable
Aug 18, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.