How do i go about removing Adchoice popups?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hazel ludlow

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013
hullo...

as of this morning, all of my browsers now have AdChoice pop ups, well, popping up. I have run Malware Anti/Adaware/JRT/MS Malicious, to no avail. Searching for help, i get nothing but upsellers and very vague YouTube videos on how to remove the virus. Any help with this would be great

bests

hazel ludlow

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013
thank you...i removed Java/Flash and Flash Plug-in from Control panel and so far everything is set. These were my latest installs. i have yet to find any extensions that deal with AdChoice.

hazel ludlow

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013
i have fixed it in Chrome, but Opera and Firefox still have them...one question: There are highlighted words in posts that bring up an ad when you hover over them...are these the pop ups, or is that just normal? If so then i've been whipping a dead horse.

thanks again,

Paul NZ

Admirable
Use adwcleaner http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/dl/125/

Run it then click on scan. Wait for it to finish. Look thru the tabs. If you think its malware tick it, if not untick it then click on clean. Then reboot

Close the browsers before you click on clean

hazel ludlow

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013
There are no extensions on any of the browsers that i use that have AdChoice or anything of the sort. Chrome no longer has the links, but IE and Firefox do.
I have used four different Malware/Anti-Virus programs...no go.

again, thanks much

hazel ludlow

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013
pardons, paul...thought i replied...yes, i ran it and nothing came up that resembled any AdChoice or relative. my big question, other than how to get rid of them, is if they are dangerous. i've been told that they are just in-text advertising and opting out/AdBlock would be fine, cept that i cannot get the opt out to actually work.

i've been through all the browsers, and as said, removed the green words from Chrome, but not Firefox/Opera...also, i have not found one solution that is the panacea to this problem

still searching...

hazel

G

After scanning with AdwCleaner, did you actually click on Clean?

Have you tried Adblock Plus?

shot34ever

Estimable
Jan 27, 2015
I also have these AdChoice ad's which infected my browser Firefox. I updated everything possible, installed several Malware Removal programs and they did not find any of these AdChoice.
After wasting a full day looking for an answer, it turns out that it was added by my Internet provider. Don't know if I am allowed to say their name, but by clicking on the AdChoice little arrow on the corner of the ad, it takes you to a page that lets you opt out of these ads. So, with all of the time that I have spent searching for a fix, turns out the answer was under my nose. Hope that this will help everyone with these pesky ad's. This page also told me that it does not have anything to do with my searching for a product online, this is bull also. Last Monday I searched for a new laptop for my daughter and shortly after, I had ads for laptops all over my providers homepage. WTS I plan to let my Internet provider know how I feel about this.
shot34ever

Russeli

Estimable
Feb 4, 2015

Tyler10310

Estimable
Feb 24, 2015
If you're running a windows 8 or 8.1 machine, the problem lays elsewhere. No matter how many scans I ran, I didn't get these to go away until I removed a directory in the appdata folder.

With and administrative command prompt open:
cd C:\users\"users name"\appdata\local\Microsoft\windows\iNetCache
del /s low

Make sure you type your actual username in that line!
Answer yes to confirm deletion of any of the subdirectories. Relaunch IE and hopefully they should be gone!

Rodneyoz

Estimable
Mar 12, 2015

Would removing and then reinstalling IE be the same thing?

old bear

Estimable
Mar 18, 2015

Adblock Plus is now available on IE and it will suppress AdChoice advertising as long as the check box "Allow some non-intrusive advertising" is unchecked in the settings of the Adblock Plus Add-on. Install from "https://adblockplus.org/en/

There are often many different possible causes for problems that appear similar. While it could be the ISP, it's not certain.

I posted how to test that this was the case further up.

Just because it may have been the solution for you does not mean that it's the solution for everyone, and trying to convince everyone that this is the case merely stifles debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.