How do I replace the receiver in a home theater kit and make the old subwoofer work with the new receiver?

keahonui

Prominent
Oct 29, 2017
The kit is an old philips 5.1 system, the speakers all work fine. The receiver was starting to have problems, so we purchased a replacement stand alone receiver from Denon (https://tinyurl.com/y7g87qzt). The old receiver had the sub amp built in, and this one does not appear to (the sub output looks to be RCA?). The product literature isn't super thorough and I'm not sure what the best course of action would be. Looking for some guidance towards the cheapest and easiest solution. As I understand it, there are two paths: get a plate amp for the subwoofer I have, or purchase a powered subwoofer compatible with the Denon. Is one of these ways easier/better? Any product recommendations? Is there another option I haven't considered? Any advice/guidance would be appreciated.

Solution
You need a powered sub or an Amp as you originally suspected. Which is better depends on price and how good your current sub is.

On the one hand you should match the sub to your speakers and amp so it has the same tone. On the other hand my brother in law buys any old sub that takes his fancy and honestly they still end up sounding good (except too much bass - but that's his fault he's a bass addict).

Not many receivers I've seen have amplified sub connections, and if they did it would be via speaker terminals not an RCA connector. Pre-out probably just refers to the fact that it's a pre-amp output at line levels suitable for a power amp stage, most just say sub out but it's the same.

leigh76

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
I have an old old old Pioneer VSX-516

fiPajrL.jpg

This is the sub out (pre-amped) on my system this goes out to a powered Accoustic solutions subwoofer.

41j-AOa4d-L.jpg

FROM THE DENON PAGE

Discrete Power Output Stage

All 5 power amplifier stages feature true Class AB amplification, and are configured with discrete high current power transistors that can easily drive lower impedance 6 ohm speakers, and each channel is rated at a maximum of 140 watts of power.

The AVR-S510BT also features dual subwoofer outputs, which lets you place 2 subwoofers in different locations in the room.

Does this mean they are pre-amped or not? its a bit vague lol :)

keahonui

Prominent
Oct 29, 2017

Exactly what I was thinking! I know so little about this anyway, I'm not sure what to make of their description.
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61Y7G0Ed%2BGL._SL1280_.jpg
This is the back of my unit, where it has the sub out it says "pre-out". Now I know what pre-amp means, but the term pre-out is unfamiliar to me and is really just further confusing me lol.

leigh76

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
I would take that to mean 'Pre-Amp Out'....or is that wishfull thinking ;)

So that means the woofer you have now is non-powered? yes?

If the subwoofer has just wire terminals, you 'can' wire it in with the centre channel as a test.

PS: I just worked out...Ive had my Pioneer since 2006!!!!! and still going strong :) And it even has optical too :)

Dugimodo

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
You need a powered sub or an Amp as you originally suspected. Which is better depends on price and how good your current sub is.

On the one hand you should match the sub to your speakers and amp so it has the same tone. On the other hand my brother in law buys any old sub that takes his fancy and honestly they still end up sounding good (except too much bass - but that's his fault he's a bass addict).

Not many receivers I've seen have amplified sub connections, and if they did it would be via speaker terminals not an RCA connector. Pre-out probably just refers to the fact that it's a pre-amp output at line levels suitable for a power amp stage, most just say sub out but it's the same.

Solution

keahonui

Prominent
Oct 29, 2017
Alright thank you guys. I think i'm going to purchase a powered subwoofer. One more question - a lot of the ones I've looked at have an RCA line in with L/R (like this: https://m.media-amazon.com/images/S/aplus-media/sota/04898c4d-43e8-471e-b4c1-03540d49461a.jpg)
The sub out comes as one jack. Should I use a Y cable and plug the one sub out into both channels on the line in? Or should I just wire it to one of the terminals? Thanks again everyone.