How do I set default storage to SD card on Galaxy On5?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheElemynt

Commendable
Jul 21, 2016
As the title says I Want to change the default storage to the SD card on my On5 galaxy phone but am unable to figure out how. Please help

Solution
After extensive research, I have found that the Samsung On5 does not allow for the change. Which is just one in a long list of phones that actually don't allow it. So, it is kind of hit or miss with the phones. And it isn't just Samsung ones. Run into the same thing on other brands as well. Sorry folks, it just isn't possible on that device.
Well, it is going to depend on the version of Android the phone is running. If you are running the version with Lollipop, then it can't be done. However, if you are running the version using Android "Marshmallow" they you 'may' be able to do it. It depends on if Samsung has restricted it or not.

If you are running "Marshmallow" or can upgrade to it, then you should be able to try and make the change using the information below. NOTE: Make sure you are starting with a blank SD card. Why? Because if you are able to do as stated below, then it will format and encrypt the card, so anything on it would be gone.

How to turn external SD card into internal storage on "Marshmallow".

1. Go to device “Settings”, then select “Storage”.
2. Select your "SD Card", then tap the “three-dot menu“ (top-right), now select “Settings” from in there.
3. Now select “Format as internal”, and then “Erase & Format”.
4. Your SD Card will now be formatted as internal storage.
5. Reboot your phone.

NOTE: If you don't reboot the phone, many things may not work correctly, so make sure you do.

TheElemynt

Commendable
Jul 21, 2016

When I go to format the SD card it only gives me the options to format as portable storage and not internal. Acording to T-Mobile the On5 I got from them should be 6.0 Marshmallo

That message you saw is quite encouraging because Android refers to internal storage as an SdCard and uses the same term for external storage so you're healfway to where you want to be.

I suggest you start by making yourself a stronger user of the phone by invoing Developer Options. This is a serious suggestion and not some weird magical thing about dancing naked round an oak tree but you have to go into Settiings and scroll down to About Device.

Now the weird bit - tap it seven times and ou're a developer. You could now could a little further and root the device but it isn't necessary. Back in Settings go to More then to Storage. If you see Unmount SdCard it's already available for storage. If it says it's not mounted, do it now.

Moving applications to run on the card is another matter.

Dennis_58

Commendable
Aug 28, 2016

I can only click it once before it take me to the screen.

Doc_W

Commendable
Sep 6, 2016

Doc_W: Same for me. T-Mobile. Portable storage only. Marshmallow 6.0.1.

Doc_W

Commendable
Sep 6, 2016

Doc_W: Nope. I called T-Mobile and the tech guy said "Well, sorry about that. Stuff happens. If you don't like it, take it back, pay $50 restocking fee, pick a different phone and hope for the best."

Ya know you have to 'love' the wonderful customer service. :/

Sadly it has become standard practice to sell you something, without all the options it has available, just because that is what they decided to do. And don't get me started on junk they actually do add to phones.

That's a disgusting attitude from a major company. Put the darned thing on e-Bay and get a better phone from anyone other than T-Mobile.

I'm sorry we couldn't find a viable solution.

One more shot from me - root the device then see if the option for the SdCard can be set as Portable or Internal comes back.

Jassyjazz89

Commendable
Sep 12, 2016

Ive got the ANSWER FOR GALAXY ON5

Lineikosen

Commendable
Sep 17, 2016
the "Move to SD card button" does not exist. I did exactly as you said and went into app manager, select the app you would like to move. But there is no button to move apps. It does not exist as you have listed. Maybe there is another way? I haven't had my Galaxy On5 for long.

Status
Not open for further replies.