How do i setup my MSi GT70 Dragon Edition 2 Laptop for gaming?

Dark Exsphere

Honorable
Aug 14, 2013
Hey I recently got MSi Dragon Edition 2 gaming laptop and i would like help setting it up for gaming. I have a steam account and all and I play games like Assassin's Creed, Witcher, Bioshock etc. I would like to play them on highest settings and all but i have one issue. Regardless of what settings my game is at (everything turned to highest or everything turned lower like anti aliasing off) my game seems to stutter.

I downloaded FRAPS and started playing Assassin's Creed Revelations on highest settings with V Sync on so it was locked to 60FPS. when the game drops like 7 frames (53FPS) it seems like the game just jerked the screen. It's not LAG that you would experience from frames dipping below 25FPS (such as on a ps3 game). i just find it annoying and don't know why it does that. otherwise everything is silky smooth....

why is this happening and how can i optimize this laptop better for gaming?

Processor: Intel i7 4700MQ
RAM: 32GB
GPU: Nvidia GeForce 780M

Please help

Solution

Dark Exsphere

Honorable
Aug 14, 2013
To be honest I think it's just revelations.... i tried assassins creed 2 and it seemed fine... maybe it's just revelations... not sure...

i went on
www.systemrequirementslab.com and checked if my laptop can run the game and it says everything is fine. so i was just upset spending $2800+ on a gaming laptop that didn't perform like it was advertised to...

i still dont know if i can overclock the CPU and stuff.. i wish all this stuff was written in its manual... i know my GPU can be overclocked.. and on paper it said my CPU can be overclocked but people say no it can't and im stuck with 2.4Ghz quad core

burdenbound

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011

I would be really careful about overclocking with a laptop because they get extremely hot even on normal settings. The i7 mobile CPUs are pretty strong, I wouldn't worry too much about that limiting your performance, eventually the mobile graphics card will have a tougher time running newer and newer games but that's to be expected.

vngeance

Honorable
Aug 17, 2013

You may also have a bottleneck someplace. Most likely the hard disk speed. Not sure where you got the GT70 Dragon but I questioned Newegg and they wouldn't answer... I asked if the 1 TB hard disk included was a 5400rpm drive or a 7200rpm drive. They just would not answer that question. So I am looking into a vendor that will let me do a custom build so I can include the fastest drive options and such. I mention all that to say... is it possible you have slower drives someplace?? Maybe switch the video record destination to the SSD drives for a while just to test with it that way (assuming you aren't already recording to SSD and you are using the additional storage HD instead). I had this happening (with fraps) on my desktop gaming rig.. I put in a RAID card to take up some of the slack from the MB and afterwards fraps never did hiccup again. So, where's the bottleneck in that kick ass laptop you have there?? Check the speed of the hard drive. Overclock the CPU only as advertised and as necessary but start with the more simple things.

Solution

Dark Exsphere

Honorable
Aug 14, 2013

I have everything installed on this 356GB hardrive. i beleive its the super fast ones. because i can turn my computer on in less than like 5 seconds. SSD Raid? is that what its called? theres two hardrives on my computer. one is super fast and its 356GB in space. the other i dont use (yet) and its got 916GB free space. i think that might be the 5400rpm hardrive. also under properties for the computer where you see the score, the score is 7.9. the Processor speed and RAM both scored 7.9 while graphics and gaming graphics scored 8.0 and primary hard disk scored 8.1...

Jkeychen Liew

Estimable
Apr 15, 2014

Hi there, I have the MSI GT70 20D Drgaon Edition 2 too with i-7 4700M and nvidia GTX 780M. Just wondering how did you get a higher score for display and gaming graphics which is 8.0? mine just showing display = 5.0 and gaming graphics = 6.9 . It is because I'm using the Integrated GPU? FYI, I have the latest driver for both GPU. :??: