Solved! How do I stop "Preferring" an IP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkarim7676

Prominent
Apr 15, 2018
I recently switched to a static ip to host a game server. I no longer need it, so I wanted to switch back to a dynamic IP. After choosing automatic in PowerShell, Command Prompt, AND control panel, the old static ip is still being used and next to it it says "(Preferred)". How do I stop preferring it?

Solution
First it depends on your ISP. Your making that one your preferred doesn't actually mean it is going to change when you make it not preferred. Some ISPs don't let the IP change no matter what you try to change on the computer itself. So if you are say with Comcast (aka Xfinity) then you likely will still have the same IP address no matter what change you make on the computer.

Now, if you are connecting to a different provider, then I would check first to see if that will be the same.

You can also try the following...

1. Go to "Settings".
  2. Click on "Network & Security" and then click on "WiFi".
  3. Now click "Manage known networks".
  4. Select the WiFi connection you want to remove.
  5. Click the "Forget" button.
  6. After doing...
First it depends on your ISP. Your making that one your preferred doesn't actually mean it is going to change when you make it not preferred. Some ISPs don't let the IP change no matter what you try to change on the computer itself. So if you are say with Comcast (aka Xfinity) then you likely will still have the same IP address no matter what change you make on the computer.

Now, if you are connecting to a different provider, then I would check first to see if that will be the same.

You can also try the following...

1. Go to "Settings".
  2. Click on "Network & Security" and then click on "WiFi".
  3. Now click "Manage known networks".
  4. Select the WiFi connection you want to remove.
  5. Click the "Forget" button.
  6. After doing this, close the open windows and reboot the computer.
  7. Once the computer is fully reloaded again go to "Settings".
  8. Click on "Network & Security" and then click on "WiFi".
  9. Now click "Manage known networks".
  10. Click "Add a new network" and enter the network name.
  11. Using the drop-down menu, select the "network security type".
  12. Check the "Connect automatically" option.
  13. Now check the "Connect even if the network is not broadcasting" option and click "Save".

Once you have completed these steps, whenever the device is within range of that particular network, it should automatically connect to it.

Solution
I recently switched to a static ip to host a game server. I no longer need it, so I wanted to switch back to a dynamic IP. After choosing automatic in PowerShell, Command Prompt, AND control panel, the old static ip is still being used and next to it it says "(Preferred)". How do I stop preferring it?

Are you talking about your computer's IP? All you need to do is set the IP configuration to DHCP from what you set it to. Not sure where it can possible see the other IP once you do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.