How do I switch SD cards?

sszhsj6

Prominent
Oct 10, 2017
I have 2 phones (both android) a smaller/cheaper one that I mostly use for calling/texting etc. & a slightly bigger/better one I use for just about everything (watching TV, reading, social media, taking/storing pictures, email, writing/storing documents, etc. etc). I just realized I have a 16gb SD card in the cheaper phone, & a 4gb SD card in the slightly better phone. What I want to do is switch the SD cards from each phone to the other.
How do I make the switch with out messing up either phone or causing myself a lot of extra hassle?

Solution
1. Don't worry about the vote. It happens. :)

2. Well, cards do wear out. It would be wise to connect each device (while the card is still in it) to a computer via USB cord and copy or move the files from the card(s) to empty folders on the computer before you make any other changes. This way you wouldn't lose anything should the card have issues.

3. Yes, it is something you would have to do intentionally (make it "Internal" storage rather than "External"). People who want to run apps from a card do this to make the card able to house/run them. However, not all devices allow for this change. So if you didn't do it intentionally, and only put files on the cards, you should be good.
Well, as long as the SD cards are the same 'physical' size and can be swapped, the only problem you could have is if either of them has info on them already. That would have to be moved off it (back to the phone or elsewhere) before you changed them out. Or if either had been converted to be 'internal' rather than normal 'external' storage for the device. Then you would have to remove the data from the card and then change it back to being external storage before you could swap them.

sszhsj6

Prominent
Oct 10, 2017
I apologize in advance for any redundancy in this thread - I attempted to thank you (web workings) and follow up with you after reading your response. Unfortunately, I don't see any evidence of that here... what I do see is that I apparently 'voted down' your response to my question? That was not my intention (this is my first attempt at communicating online in this context). So once again I am trying to follow up with your response - which I really did appreciate, despite my unintentional 'vote'.
If you'll bear with me, as I am clearly a novice, I have a couple questions I'd like to ask for clarification before going through with the switch.
1st) I have been using both phones with their current SD cards for years, so I assume that means they both have info on them? (If that sounds flippant it isn't my intention, I really just want to be sure I understand). I know how to save pictures, but I don't know if I should save anything else or just delete both cards and then switch.
2nd) I don't know if either SD card was converted to 'internal' storage - is this something one must do intentionally, or could I have done it without realizing?
I know these questions probably sound foolish - I just want to make it so I have the greater storage space in the phone that I get more use out of, without causing either phone to stop working properly.
Thanks for your time *and patience* your suggestions are truly appreciated!

1. Don't worry about the vote. It happens. :)

2. Well, cards do wear out. It would be wise to connect each device (while the card is still in it) to a computer via USB cord and copy or move the files from the card(s) to empty folders on the computer before you make any other changes. This way you wouldn't lose anything should the card have issues.

3. Yes, it is something you would have to do intentionally (make it "Internal" storage rather than "External"). People who want to run apps from a card do this to make the card able to house/run them. However, not all devices allow for this change. So if you didn't do it intentionally, and only put files on the cards, you should be good.

Solution