How do I unlock an SD camera chip

milady texas

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
Hello,
I have a Canon camera, but both my SD cards read locked when I put them in. Both were new and used some before they suddenly locked up.

G

If they've been used in another camera you will have this prob. See if the camera has an option to format the card -- though of course you will lose any pictures.

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
SD Cards have a manual lock mechanism on the side of the card, if these were slide to lock then you won't be able to put any data in or even format the card.

Notice the picture here, there's the biege tab on the left side of the card; it has to slide up to unlock.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d4/SD_Cards.png

But as fihart noted aswell, if the card is been used from another device and data has been locked, use the old device that locked the data and unlock the card, otherwise you may try re-formating the card but loose the data.

b344

Honorable
Jul 13, 2012

REXTER: It's 7/13/2012 and I am glad Igoogled my problem...Your answer came right up... I cked the SD CARD and found the lock on side of it....I was elated...I have been reading the book for hours and hours and nothing about this...(They should include this in their book...) I Have a Polaroid 2008 i835...Love it...first time this happened..must have pushed it when I downloaded pics to my computer!!! Thanks Thanks Thanks......was such a simple fix......