How do I view DVDs on my all-in-one PC from external DVD player?

fruitpigeon

Estimable
Oct 27, 2014
Help. Got Sony DVPSR760H MultiRegion DVD Player player with HDMI output, and PC (Sony Vaio all in one SVL2412M1EB) with HDMI output. I've got my HDMI cable going out from the player and in to the PC HDMI port, but player came with no software and despite cable connecting the two devices, I can't work out how to actually view the DVDs on my PC. If I open VLC media player it doesn't 'find' the DVD player or disc - they may as well not be connected. My all-in-one does have its own DVD drive but I wanted a multiregion player to watch DVDs from region 1 (I know I can change my PC settings but I know I can only do this x5, hence the purchase). I tried putting a DVD into the player to see if it would somehow come up automatically on my PC screen, but nothing happens.

SO grateful if you could advise. Have I made a big mistake purchasing this DVD player? (I've no TV, hence need to play on my computer monitor). Or is there a way to actually view the DVDs? No techie language please - I'm a dodo.

fruitpigeon

Estimable
Oct 27, 2014

Thanks for your quick reply. Sorry, I've no idea what you mean by a USB DVD. My DVD player has a USB port, if that's what you mean. Would it work if I used a USB cable from the DVD player USB port to a free USB port on my PC? I do have an internal DVD on my PC but it is set to play region 2 DVDs. I know I can change the settings but only 5 times max, and I want to to be able to watch region 1 DVDs, hence my purchase of the external DVD player. If you don't think the USB cable will work (I'll have to buy a USB to USB calbe as I don't have one to try out) - can you suggest anything else? What could I use to watch my DVDs that isn't a TV (I don't watch a TV and don't want to pay a licence fee). Really appreciate your help.