How do i wire this speaker?

shaz8246

Estimable
Dec 12, 2014
A while back my brother made a diy subwoofer out of an old speaker. i know the speaker works and wanted to hook it up to my computer but after closer inspection i noticed it wasnt wired to anything.
I looked online and the wires on my speaker dont seem to match what i find.
There's a copper looking wire and a silver wire.
If i can i would like to wire it to a standard 3.5mm jack so it can work with my computer without going through an amp, but if an amp is 100% needed then id still like to know how to get it to work as its a really good speaker.
If pictures are needed i will try to provide some.
thanks for any help

Solution

What americanaudiophile suggested would be the best way. The subwoofer plate can be connected straight upto the sub using the LFE inputs, low level from the orange jack from the PC. Low pass filters is only needed if the low frequency range came through speaker wire from subwoofer hifi system.

This guide shows how simple it is: Just need to be able to get to the rear of the sub...

boju

Distinguished
If you can take pictures that would be great help.

I rebuilt my dad's old 40year old Thorn speakers with modern drivers and partitioned it and put a down firing passive sub. I used a low pass filter for the sub which was a wind of copper similar to the picture below.

IMG_6917b.jpg

Not sure about silver wire but that could be the speaker wire connecting to the + & - terminals to the sub driver speaker.

Like any multiple frequencies speakers (ie: 3way's low/mid/high) will have filter capacitors inside for each driver to pass the right signal range. If there were no filters, the tweeter will be bombarded with low/mid and that wouldn't be nice for the poor tweeter.

My guess is the copper you explained is the low pass filter, the silver wire connects to the sub driver. The sub would be passive so you'd need an amp that can output 20Hz-250Hz, wattage i couldn't say. It should say there somewhere on the back of the sub woofer driver what it needs.

shaz8246

Estimable
Dec 12, 2014

Heres a picture of the wire and what it connects to the silver goes to the black and the copper to the red so im pretty sure they are the +&- . Should i take the black cover on the back off and look at whats inside to see what theyre properly connected to?

0dWgdhX

XjHTxpo

http://imgur.com/0dWgdhX
http://imgur.com/XjHTxpo

boju

Distinguished
Yea look inside it. If hes used a low pass filter will need to see if it's been wired.

Behind the red/black terminals there will be speaker wire connecting one end of the low pass filter and the other end to the -/+ of the sub.

shaz8246

Estimable
Dec 12, 2014
Sorry boju i must of done it by accident since i was on my phone.
With the speaker i cant really see into it as of where and how it is but i asked my brother about it and he said he used an old car sub, and using his knowledge i dont think he did anything too extreme with it.
Is it important to know whether it has a low pass or is there a way around it?

boju

Distinguished

What americanaudiophile suggested would be the best way. The subwoofer plate can be connected straight upto the sub using the LFE inputs, low level from the orange jack from the PC. Low pass filters is only needed if the low frequency range came through speaker wire from subwoofer hifi system.

This guide shows how simple it is: Just need to be able to get to the rear of the sub to solder the wire somehow. Or if your brother already has connected a wire between the + / - terminals on the sub driver to the speaker box + / - terminals, stripping the amp plate wire like you would with normal speaker wire and inserting into the clips should work too.

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WKZusC3CDg"][/video]

Solution