JoshRoss

Estimable
Jul 11, 2017
This could be interesting for those who are new to the forum and those who are interested in backup technologies.

Feel free to post your solutions and what/how/when do you backup your data, where you store it and how convenient/inconvenient it might be. Feel free to be more in-depth about the topic or even suggest your own ideas for backups

Edit:
Forgot to write my own way of approach things.

I use a very simple and straightforward solution, external HDD once a day. I keep it offline from potential threats, always have up to date files and programs I might need to potentially remove malware or recover my PC.

Was thinking about Cloud Storage, any thoughts on that?

10tacle

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
Similar to the above, I run an external HDD and back up crucial folders twice a week (and only when I'm actively on the PC). I do not keep the external drive plugged in at all times for security protection. One can never be too cautious on potential compromising no matter how good the anti-virus and firewall, especially with Windows. Then once a month I will transfer the backup files to a simple backup PC that is kept offline only.

For really critical/sensitive/sentimental data like important personal documents and family photos and video, I burn them on double density Blu-Ray media and keep two copies of each disc. One set goes to a home fireproof safe, and the other set goes into a bank safe deposit box where other things like my will are stored.

So for me that's up to three backups. I have not, do not, and will never trust online storage solutions. I most certainly wouldn't trust Google's propensity to spy on people and use their "free" backup solution. I don't even use my Galaxy Note 5's Samsung cloud backup service. I back my phone files up on PC.

JoshRoss

Estimable
Jul 11, 2017
Never considered a fireproof safe option to protect your important data and backups, I will attempt to employ this strategy in the future. Thanks for linking USAFRet I'll be sure to read it, not sure how I missed that a similar question was posted not too long ago.

mdd1963

Distinguished
Between Google Drive, One Drive, Dropbox, for storage of priceless photos, etc., I just don't have that much stuff that truly needs 'backed up'; but, I used to do a complete system image to an external drive via either Clonezilla and/or Macrium, Acronis True Image, etc... (I have an external 3 TB Toshiba and a front IcyDock bay for 3.5"/2.5" drives currently filled with HGST 4 TB)

JoshRoss

Estimable
Jul 11, 2017
Is Acronis worth it that much? I was considering moving my stuff to Crash Plan, but after they bailed out of consumer market, I was kind of disappointed that there isn't an accurate alternative.

mdd1963

Distinguished
I would not pay for Acronis, given so many free alternatives, truthfully, but, anyone with an internal or external Western Digital can already download and use it for free, making total/partial backup system or entire drive images VERY easily. (Macrium Reflect is equally easy, as is EaseUS Todo Backup, AOMEI Backupper, etc...)

Clonezilla is Linux simple menu 3 color text based with no fancy GUI, but, with practice, works well (once you get around a little confusion over which drive should be mounted first, etc....; it's not intuitive the way the GUI based alternatives are)