How do you connect a digital optical cable from a PC to a a/v receiver?

Apr 1, 2016
I have connected a digital optical cable to my pc and then to my a/v receiver, but I do not have sound. The connection is to my motherboard's sound card. My gpu does not have a optical connection, and I do not have 25ft HDMI cable. I do not know what I have done wrong. Is something wrong with my sound card or a/v receiver? My pc uses realtek audio, and I have made it my default in sound settings so I don't know what is going on. This is a pc I built myself about a year ago, and now I have grown tired of using headphones and want to use my 7.1 home theater system. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Solution
Check device manager to see if the sound card recognized. You can also verify that the sound output is indeed directed out of the sound card in the sound mixer. If you MB supports optical then you can use the output from the MB (it does sound good since that's how I configured mine). Did you set the optical in the output of the A/v? Some food for thought, its tough to give a direct answer with the many variables.

aparnell572

Commendable
Mar 30, 2016
Check device manager to see if the sound card recognized. You can also verify that the sound output is indeed directed out of the sound card in the sound mixer. If you MB supports optical then you can use the output from the MB (it does sound good since that's how I configured mine). Did you set the optical in the output of the A/v? Some food for thought, its tough to give a direct answer with the many variables.

Solution
Apr 1, 2016
I have to use optical because my a/v reviver is connected to my tv, and only has two working HDMI out of it's four. That, and almost all HDMIs are too short unless I pay $100 or up. My monitor only has one HDMI also. If I wanted to use HDMI I would constantly have to be pulling out the a/v receiver because it only has one output, and switching between my tv and pc.

And the optical connection is now working... randomly. I restarted my computer and it seemed to fix it. I think the connection on my motherboard is bad. My mouse won't work sometimes and the computer has to be restarted, and the HDMI ports don't work on the motherboard. It has never been a problem until now because my Nvidia Geforce has a HDMI.