How do you disable the key pad on a laptop and only use the mouse

barrbarr

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
As Im typing along on my laptop my cursor jumps around and goes all over the place and puts letters where I don't want them. I believe this is due to my hands hitting the key pad. I use a mouse and would like to disable the keypad. Any suggestions?

k1114

Distinguished
Go to device manager. (start>type in device and it should come up with it) under mice and pointing devices, right click it and click disable. Some laptops dont let you disable it. You might have to take out the other mouse so you know youve picked the right one.

If you cant disable it try unistall, but im sure windows will install a default driver which still doenst solve the issue. You could also disable tap to click in mouse settings.

nukemaster

Distinguished
on many hp and compaq laptops there is a button or spot on the touch pad it self(hold your finger over a light) that turns the pad on and off as well.

Some touch pads also have an option on there drivers to disable touch while typing, this just disabled it while typing and for a few seconds after tying so you do not move all over.

what laptop is it?

barrbarr

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011

It is a dell about 3 years old. I';ve tried everythiing and cannot disable it. But I don't know much about computers. I have tried the suggestions from Tom's Hardware