How do you get surround sound for Itunes and Google Play videos?

SteveSmith1980

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
Hi.

My motherboard is Asus M489GTD Pro, which supports surround sound. I have the Logitech Z506 set of surround speakers attached to my PC. Surround sounds clearly work in things like video games. The problem is that it doesn't work in movies I rent on Itunes and Google Play. I only get stereo sound.

The movies on both of those sites are advertised as 5.1 surround, but I get stereo sound. There is no option to get surround sound. Is this normal?

I also connected my PC to my TV with a HDMI cable with a Onkyo HT-R393 AV receiver, and I can't get surround sound there either when I watch a movie. The video card is AMD Sapphire R9 270X. The problem seems to be the video files in my PC that are simply not in surround.

Have anyone here succeeded in getting surround sound in Itunes or Google Play movies? It can't be false advertisement can't it? Can you get it from the PC? Or do absolutely need a device like Chromecast or Apple TV for it to work? I am thinking about getting Apple TV but I would be pissed off if this ended up not working too.

Solution
Can't say for sure if it's just the apps, but I know for example, with netflix, if I watch through my browser, I only get stereo sound, but I cast that same browser tab to my chromecast, I will get dolby digital 5.1 or 5.1+ if the title supports it. So it may be the same with those services, I can't say as I don't use them.
Can't say for sure if it's just the apps, but I know for example, with netflix, if I watch through my browser, I only get stereo sound, but I cast that same browser tab to my chromecast, I will get dolby digital 5.1 or 5.1+ if the title supports it. So it may be the same with those services, I can't say as I don't use them.

Solution