How do you wipe out viruses/malware in an infected computer in a non-complicated way?

goodlearner

Commendable
Aug 12, 2016
I'm asking not because I currently have an infected computer. I just want to both know and learn.

Ok. So, how do you usually disinfect a seriously infected computer that has windows ( whatever: xp or vista or 7 or 8 or 10 ) in this two cases?

a- In case you can still start windows normally in the infected computer

b- In case windows cannot start: not even in safe mode

Solution
Answer to both is a format of the infected drive, done from C: prompt under boot options. If (a) is that seriously infected, everything from the registry to hosts file to root will be compromised. A few Trojans is one thing, drop a full virus or worm into Windows and you'll still have file system issues months later due to corrupted sys files, drivers, open back doors etc. Best to wipe everything out and start over with a fresh copy of Windows either way.

Karadjgne

Distinguished
Herald
Answer to both is a format of the infected drive, done from C: prompt under boot options. If (a) is that seriously infected, everything from the registry to hosts file to root will be compromised. A few Trojans is one thing, drop a full virus or worm into Windows and you'll still have file system issues months later due to corrupted sys files, drivers, open back doors etc. Best to wipe everything out and start over with a fresh copy of Windows either way.

Solution