Solved! How does Digital Zoom effect Bandwifth use over Wi-Fi?

WilliamC_71

Honorable
Feb 20, 2017
I am streaming with eCamm to Facebook and Youtube. My setup involves a fixed dedicated Canon video camera that pans and zooms. Two auxiliary cameras (quality cellphones) are in fixed views and placed several feet away and send their signal to the streaming software via wi-fi. Currently, all signals are HD (1920x1080).

THE ISSUE - I want to zoom one of the cell phones. In order to maintain the quality, I wanted to set the output to eCamm to 4K but I don't want to overwhelm the wi-fi system that is heavily used (lots of cell phones on the network). IF THE 4K IS DIGITALLY ZOOMED, AM I ACTUALLY SENDING FEWER PIXELS OVER WI-FI AND, THEREFORE, NOT ADDING TO THE WIFI BANDWIDTH BY USING THE 4K?

Last edited:
Solution
Whatever the actual resolution you are using is what is being sent out. The digital zoom just makes the existing image fill in more pixels per color dot. So if a line was using 2 pixels, you use digital zoom, it now uses 4 pixels, but the overall number of pixels does not change.
Whatever the actual resolution you are using is what is being sent out. The digital zoom just makes the existing image fill in more pixels per color dot. So if a line was using 2 pixels, you use digital zoom, it now uses 4 pixels, but the overall number of pixels does not change.

Solution