How good is this laptop?

tomasandri

Estimable
Jul 6, 2014
Alright, so my gf is buying herself a new laptop and pretty much the only things she'll be doing with it is watching movies, school stuff and browsing the internet. Only one other requerment: she has to be able to play Sims 3. (I always laugh at that xD) So yeah, generally looking for just a mid-level laptop and this is the only thing I found within her budget.
Could you guys also just tell me if it's good or not, meaning not recommend anything else since I live in Iceland and we can't really buy laptops from US and such without them costing around $2000. This laptop already costs $750. Plus, we have little to choose from back here. Anyways, specs:

Processor: AMD Kabini A4-5000 Quad Core 1.5GHz 2MB
RAM: 6GB DDR3 1600MHz
Storage: 500GB SATA3 5400RPM Ultra Fast
Graphics: 4GB AMD HD8330 DX11 CPU-Integrated Graphics(Graphic Core according to Google Translate) with 128 Radeon Cores
Battery: • 4-Cell LI-ion
Screen: 15.6'' HD LED Ultrabright 16:9 screen with 1366x768 resolution

I'm sorry if you can't understand something here, I had to translate this to english.

Solution
Sadly I would have to say that laptop is probably the best your GF is going to be able to afford if she wants to spend less than 100,000 Kronas ($828 USD). Laptops in Iceland generally costs double compared to the US. I will assume importing a laptop from Europe means you will be paying excessively high import fees.

She will be able to play the Sims 3 at relatively low graphic settings @ 1366x768 with a couple of expansions. The Radeon 8330 is basically about half way between the performance of the Intel HD 3000 and Intel HD 4000 graphics core.

I know someone that played the Sims 3 and a couple of expansion with a laptop that has the Intel HD 3000. The performance seems fine from what I can tell since I decided to give the game a spin...

Jenish J

Honorable
Mar 26, 2013

I will be happy to help, but what brand is this laptop? Hp or dell or what?? Also could you please give the model number.

But definitely this laptop is not worth $750

DonkeyOatie

Estimable
Sep 16, 2014
The translation was excellent.

Rather than a good/bad choice could you present us with other options/prices. This is not a great laptop at the price you have suggested, but it may be better than anything else available (or not).

What other realistic options do you have?

Yes, the A4 is an APU with a graphics processor integrated with the CPU.

tomasandri

Estimable
Jul 6, 2014

I know it's not worth $750, it's just that living in Iceland can be super expensive. For example, the GTX 970 costs around $350 in the US and around $700 back in Iceland. But it's the Packard Bell Easynote TE69-KB-45006G50, modified by the company selling it. That's why I cant find reviews.

DonkeyOatie

Estimable
Sep 16, 2014
Not without knowing what other choices there are. It's certainly better than nothing, but they may be better options.

It is Acer's low end brand (Packard Bell) and for that reason alone I would be interested in other options.

This is the GPU benchmark with game frame-rates below. Is that good enough for you?
http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-HD-8330.92874.0.html
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Computer-Games-on-Laptop-Graphic-Cards.13849.0.html

It will run Sims 3 at an acceptable frame-rate at lower resolution. I would not describe it as mid-level in any case.

Sadly I would have to say that laptop is probably the best your GF is going to be able to afford if she wants to spend less than 100,000 Kronas ($828 USD). Laptops in Iceland generally costs double compared to the US. I will assume importing a laptop from Europe means you will be paying excessively high import fees.

She will be able to play the Sims 3 at relatively low graphic settings @ 1366x768 with a couple of expansions. The Radeon 8330 is basically about half way between the performance of the Intel HD 3000 and Intel HD 4000 graphics core.

I know someone that played the Sims 3 and a couple of expansion with a laptop that has the Intel HD 3000. The performance seems fine from what I can tell since I decided to give the game a spin for a short period of time.

Solution

tomasandri

Estimable
Jul 6, 2014

Seems like you understand the currency back here :) And yeah, she is actually trying to get a laptop for under $750 and that's what I found. Importing would mean that I'd have to up to 50% of the price of the laptop, even more depending on where its shipped from. So that's not really an option. But still, thank you for your reply. Picking that as the solution since it sorta helped me the most, since you talk from "personal"(sorta) experience.