How hot should a laptop get?

kenshindono

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2004
Just wondering how hot a gaming laptops GPU should get? My old one finally fried the gpu a few years go. I recently got a new one this year and because of the heat issues ran quite a few heat tests, usually using heaven benchmark running for about 40 mins, then checking the avg and max temps with GPUZ and HWmonitor. Tried testing it with a few games too

I dont really have any issues with the CPU temp, but the GPU kissing 92 at the high end and seems to average low to mid 80's depending on the cooling methods i try. If i leave it flat with no cooling its mid to high 80's. avg. This seems too damn hot to me. I know laptops tend to run hotter than desktops but wont this kill my gfx card again?

btw graphic card is a 780m, laptop is a digital storm.. krypton i think was the model?

kenshindono

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2004
i do use a cooling pad. I tried a couple and they seem to put the avg at the mid 80s.. without a pad av is mid to high 80s. Seems to hit 90 more often. I actually think im gonna call DIgital storm and see what they say, just wanted to get a feel if people think mid 80's avg with the high end being 91 or 92 is too damn hot... seems like it to me

ive alt tabbed out while playing wildstar briefly and see it hovering at 88-90 for stretches sometimes so im concerned

be very concerned, most graphics card pack in after 95C. Open it up and clean the fan tray, may be look up how to apply extra thermal paste, or just get a really really good cooling pad. Because that sounds like stuff is going to melt really soon.
send a message to digital storm as well and ask for assistance.

Recycled

Honorable
Oct 31, 2013
Never apply "extra" thermal paste. Replacing the thermal paste may be OK, if You know what You are doing, but adding extra will be a disaster.

i'll rephrase - clean off the existing with a certain type of alcoholic solution (I don't remember the exact description, OP can look it up) and use a fibreless cloth. Then apply your new fresh thermal paste.