How likely is The Surface Pro 2017 to have a hardware failure?

Lucas Mitchell

Estimable
May 31, 2014
Hello everyone
So here is the deal. I'm a kid from Denmark, (a land of expensive computers) and yearly travel to new York to visit my family, and I need a new laptop. So, iv'e been heavily considering the Surface Pro 4 or 2017. The issue is that Microsoft has exclusive warranty for each country, so if anything goes wrong, i'm screwed.
The Surface, as you probably know is a relatively expensive laptop, and I just want to make sure that my money spend will be justified. I Just want to know if you guys know how likely it is that something with the surface that I cant fix will go wrong/break.

I hope i made myself clear, and I apologize if it sounds confusing :).
Best regards, and thanks in advance
Lucas

Lucas Mitchell

Estimable
May 31, 2014

I'm going on Friday, The laptop looks aight i guess. But the main reason i wanted the surface, was because i need a Nordic keyboard. And since the keyboard is sold separably, I can buy the laptop in NY and the keyboard at home in Copenhagne.

Chugalug_

Estimable
Danish keycaps I presume?
Or do you speak a different language?
If you really must, and you can't get a portable keyboard to go with it (I know it's a bit of a stretch! :p), the surface pro is a good option, keep in mind it costs almost 3x more, so a different option could be looked into.
From what I can see even locally laptops are supplied with english orientations, any ideas?

Lucas Mitchell

Estimable
May 31, 2014

yeah i know its pretty expensive xD but what i was hoping to get for that is a computer that will last at least 3 years or so. It's like $1000, for a piece of quality :) The keyboard thing looks kinda cool, but id just prefer a real keyboard with danish Keys :p

Chugalug_

Estimable
Looks like unless you do the surface pro, that's not happening. :(
It has the same specs as the Surface Pro for a much lower price.
I have to ask; are you using the creative aspect of it with the touch screen and stylus or not?
Because you could contact a few companies like Lenovo, Asus, Acer etc. asking whether they do keycap replacements or keyboard covers.
Sometimes you just gotta ask, idk.
Feeling pretty useless here! xD

Lucas Mitchell

Estimable
May 31, 2014

Yeah, i'd use the stylus for drawing and Photoshop work and other content creation :). But yeah i'm pretty hooked on the Surface. But you know, my question was really if anyone knew how likely it was to break :p

Chugalug_

Estimable
That's fine, justified as long as you're using those features. Go for it. :)
It's generally very high build quality, and Microsoft should be able to sort you out if anything does happen to go wrong.
Nobody can truly know how likely something is to break since everyone's uses and transportation varies, it's a high quality laptop though, not to worry.

There is no way to say how long before the Surface Pro will suffer hardware failure. Hardware failure can happen to any piece of hardware no matter how premium the product is. It could have left the manufacturing plant with defective components that were not discovered during sample testing.

Microsoft does not offer international warranty. According to the following forum thread, you can send ship the Surface Pro to a US service center for warranty service. But they will not ship it back to you internationally, they will only ship it to a US address.

http://www.surfaceforums.net/threads/buy-in-usa-live-in-eu-how-does-warranty-work.18291/