Has the Surface pro 4 battery life improved in 2017? (personal experiences please)

jjamesdias

Commendable
Mar 26, 2016
Hiya peeps,
I am currently looking to get the Surface Pro 4.
The model I'm looking at is the i5 with 8gb ram.
Microsoft claims 9hrs video playback for the battery life description.
I browsed youtube searching for battery life tests in order to get a good idea of the battery life on this device. I found that many updates have been released in order to improve the battery life and stability of the device.
I plan to use the Surface pro 4 for Microsoft office and web browsing mostly together in class.
I need to type small reports on experiments and move around a lot during the day

I trust you peeps will give me honest answers from your personal experience with this device

So...with all the new updates
How long does the battery last using these applications?

Thanks in advance

Solution

https://www.reddit.com/r/Surface/comments/6krw4b/surface_pro_2017_battery_life_megathread/

This might help you out.

KirbysHammer

Commendable
Jun 21, 2016

A good general rule for ultrabooks is the battery will last about 3/4 of manufacturer's spec.

Why do you want a surface pro 4? It's very overpriced.

jjamesdias

Commendable
Mar 26, 2016

My local electronics retailer is offering the product at a very affordable price now with the type cover included all in one package. Plus an additional 10% off for students (which is me).
I wanted to replace my old lenovo 15.6 inch laptop with something way more portable and get a graphics tablet.
In conclusion this is like killing two birds with one stone and the battery life is the only box to be checked. So yea, u get the point.

KirbysHammer

Commendable
Jun 21, 2016

Which model is it and what is the final price?

jjamesdias

Commendable
Mar 26, 2016

Final price is 882 usd
Model is i5 8gb 256gb

KirbysHammer

Commendable
Jun 21, 2016

Personally I would recommend a high-end Chromebook for your use case. It's about half the price and will have 10+ hour battery. It's not going to be quite as snappy as a dual core i5 but for web browsing and word documents you likely won't notice the difference. On top of that, the Chromebook runs a lighter OS, which will close the gap anyway. The keyboard on the Chromebook will likely be much better, though.

However, if the touchscreen is really what you want the Surface Pro is probably the best for you.

jjamesdias

Commendable
Mar 26, 2016
Im aware of the chromebook however its the pen input for drawing that I need coz I dont want an extra device on my desk plus the chrome os is limited and our science teachers give us software that only the windows computer can run

KirbysHammer

Commendable
Jun 21, 2016

https://www.reddit.com/r/Surface/comments/6krw4b/surface_pro_2017_battery_life_megathread/

This might help you out.

Solution

karthikbnvl

Prominent
Dec 26, 2017
i ve been using surface pro 4 i5 4gb 128gb (my requirements are less) for over a year now. mostly for writing notes and read textbooks. and sometimes movies. average battery life till now is about 5 and a half hours. that should get you the rough estimate.