Solved! How many SSD slots on the MSI G83VR 7RF?

Soldierr

Prominent
Jun 9, 2017
Hi. I am purchasing the MSI gt83VR 7rf and on the specs it says it contains 2 X 256 gb M.2 drives and 1 x 1gb sata drive.

Can somebody tell me which slots and how many additional free ones there are? I would like to add another M.2 drive but not sure if it has the free slot.

Solution
Since the laptop is more of a cream-of the-crop grade unit, the M.2 SSD options will be populated by 2 SSD's and be set up in RAID0 as per this guide. The HDD slot would also be populated with a 1TB HDD.

If you must upgrade the M.2 drives, then you should be looking at larger capacity drives and two identical drives if you want to recreate the RAID0 array. Speaking of recreating, if you're under warranty, it might not be a good idea to open up the unit.

Lutfij

Splendid
Since the laptop is more of a cream-of the-crop grade unit, the M.2 SSD options will be populated by 2 SSD's and be set up in RAID0 as per this guide. The HDD slot would also be populated with a 1TB HDD.

If you must upgrade the M.2 drives, then you should be looking at larger capacity drives and two identical drives if you want to recreate the RAID0 array. Speaking of recreating, if you're under warranty, it might not be a good idea to open up the unit.

Solution

Soldierr

Prominent
Jun 9, 2017
Hi. Thanks. I was considering just buying one upgraded M.2 drive, and ditching the RAID0 as it would be a waste of money to buy 2 upgraded drives and literally have to throw 2 them away since they cannot be used. At least if I buy 1 upgraded drive, I will only have to throw 1 away.