How much can this laptop be sold for (specs)

Artemisveras

Estimable
May 22, 2015
Specs:

Intel Core i7 2670QM (2.20GHz)
6GB Memory 1TB HDD
Intel HD Graphics 3000
1600 x 900
17" 64-Bit
DVD Super Multi
3 x USB 2.0, 1 x USB 3.0, HDMI port

3 years used, looks like brand new. Comes with clean install of Windows 10.

What's your estimate? What will you give for it or what will someone on Craigslist/ebay give for it?

I want to sell this for at least 400$ towards new windows laptop/macbook pro, it was $900 when it was bought.

Thank you!

Full specs

SBMfromLA

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
You said it comes with a clean install of Windows 7... but does it come with a valid serial? Windows 7 DVD? The original packaging? Power Adapter?

If you sold it... it's possible you could ask for about $250-275...

When I buy gadgets I always store the original box in the event I decide to sell it as some point in the future.

Mugglensu1984

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2008

OP didn't say Windows 7. OP stated Windows 10

Hmmm... I missed the point about Windows 10....

That is not an official OS. The latest version of Windows 10 is Preview Edition Build 10122. That means it is not the retail version. When Windows 10 finally releases as a retail product the Preview Edition will basically be obsolete and whoever uses the laptop will be pestered with notices to update to a valid version of Windows OS and will not be able install any Windows update.

Unless a valid version of Windows 7 or Windows 8 is installed, then the value of the laptop drops to about $150 because the new owner will be forced to purchase an operating system.

Artemisveras

Estimable
May 22, 2015

It comes with Windows 10 (will be clean installed when they release it). It originally came with windows 7, then upgraded to 8.1, now to 10. I have the original box and the power adapter.

Artemisveras

Estimable
May 22, 2015

I know, I'll get full upgrade when they release it this year.

I recommend simply installing Windows 7 so that you can sell it immediately rather than waiting for the Win 10 Retail to be released, then doing another upgrade. Win 10 is estimated to be released in August.

If you have the Win 8.1 upgrade DVD and have no use for it yourself, then include it with the laptop. That way the purchaser will have the option to use Win 7, Win 8.1 or Win 10.

SBMfromLA

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
You're making things sound confusing.. Not that it's any of my business... but... are you selling the laptop with a VALID Windows 7 Serial and ORIGINAL DVD that came with the computer? Will it have a valid Windows 8 Serial? You keep saying it will come with Windows 10... but Windows 10 free upgrade will be useless and without any value without a "Valid Serial" from a previous O/S.

If you sell it.. I think you should just forget about mentioning Windows 10.. let the buyer decide if they want to use the free upgrade to Windows 10 or not... If I saw a laptop on sale right now that advertised it coming with Windows 10... I would immediately think something was "fishy".

Artemisveras

Estimable
May 22, 2015

I have 8.1 key, and Windows 7 didn't come with a DVD, it was pre-installed

Artemisveras

Estimable
May 22, 2015

It didn't come with Win 7 dvd, but I got 8.1 key. Yes you make a good point that it sounds fishy, putting windows 8 on it would be a better idea.

Can you or anyone advise me how to (possibly) increase the price? I never sold computers before so I have no idea. Maybe sell it to the manufacturer? Or for parts? Whatever will make more cash.

Okay, if Win 7 came pre-installed, then simply do a fresh install of Win 7 assuming the Win 7 install partition on the hard drive is intact. If Win 7 install is not present, then install Win 8.1 using that key and provide the key to purchase in the event he / she needs to reinstall Win 8.

As for increasing the value of the laptop... the only way to do that is to upgrade the hardware like more RAM or replacing the HDD with a SSD. However, that is not really a viable solution unless you can purchase the hardware at an extremely good price. For example, there is no point if you purchase a 256GB SSD for $130 and simply increasing the selling price by $130 or more. If you were able to buy a 256GB for say $50 and then increase the price by $100, then that is a different matter. Basically, you need to spend money to increase the value and since you are unlikely to get parts at wholesale prices it is simply not worth the effort.

Artemisveras

Estimable
May 22, 2015

So there's no other way to bump up the price? Thanks for the help :)

TRENDING THREADS