How much damage can a LD take?

G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.laserdisc (More info?)

I just received an item from an Ebay auction: "The Piano" on laserdisc,
spanning 3 sides on a 2 disc set. The playing side #3 has a deep radial
cut - almost perfectly from center point to edge as if it defines the
laserdisc's radius - all the way across.

It plays fine!!! That just amazes me. I was prepared to leave negative
feedback, but, for $1, everthing's OK by me.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.laserdisc (More info?)

A cracked disc usually will not play. You may be unaware that laserdiscs play
the bottom side of the disc, so when you are looking at the label that says
side 3, you are actually looking at side 4. Since the laserdosc is two discs
glued together, it is possiblt to only have one side cracked. This can happen
in shipping if it is not packaged properly (and sometimes even when package
properly).
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.laserdisc (More info?)

Yeah - I just learned about that. The guy who sold me the laserdisc
explained it to me. Doh!!!

I had left him positive feedback because it plays fine, but my comment
expressed a little disastisfaction because I thought he had described it
incorrectly.

I don't think it's a crack. It looks like someone swiped it with a box
cutter.


"ETVIDEO1" <etvideo1@aol.com> wrote in message
news:20040607075524.16660.00000690@mb-m15.aol.com...
> A cracked disc usually will not play. You may be unaware that laserdiscs
play
> the bottom side of the disc, so when you are looking at the label that
says
> side 3, you are actually looking at side 4. Since the laserdosc is two
discs
> glued together, it is possiblt to only have one side cracked. This can
happen
> in shipping if it is not packaged properly (and sometimes even when
package
> properly).
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.laserdisc (More info?)

"Tony Whitaker" <tony1964@mindspring.com> wrote in message news:<9W8xc.2312$Y3.1169@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>...
> Yeah - I just learned about that. The guy who sold me the laserdisc
> explained it to me. Doh!!!
>
> I had left him positive feedback because it plays fine, but my comment
> expressed a little disastisfaction because I thought he had described it
> incorrectly.
>
> I don't think it's a crack. It looks like someone swiped it with a box
> cutter.
>

Such marks in straight line from center to border may come from a
defective player who's pickup fell on the disc and scratched it
linearly when the tray was opened, i think.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.laserdisc (More info?)

nsa@dk.catv.ne.jp (Nicolas Santini) wrote...
> Such marks in straight line from center to border may come from a
> defective player who's pickup fell on the disc and scratched it
> linearly when the tray was opened, i think.

Nicolas,

Are you answering your new e-mail address? I've written to you a
couple of times over the past two weeks, and I haven't heard back from
you.

-Junior
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Streaming Video & TVs 4
F Streaming Video & TVs 1
V Streaming Video & TVs 4
A Streaming Video & TVs 2
P Streaming Video & TVs 1
W Streaming Video & TVs 4
B Streaming Video & TVs 4
I Streaming Video & TVs 0
M Streaming Video & TVs 0
R Streaming Video & TVs 3
G Streaming Video & TVs 1
T Streaming Video & TVs 2
Bradagan1 Streaming Video & TVs 8
8 Streaming Video & TVs 1
P Streaming Video & TVs 4
S Streaming Video & TVs 1
O Streaming Video & TVs 1
R Streaming Video & TVs 2
J Streaming Video & TVs 2
L Streaming Video & TVs 3

ASK THE COMMUNITY