How much should I sell my computer for?

smartwind

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012
I'm thinking about selling my laptop and building myself a desktop gaming machine, but I wanted to know how much I could get for my laptop first.

My laptop specifications:
HP pavilion dm4 1160us
Windows 7 Home premium
Upgraded hard drive to 750 GB Western Digital Caviar Black hard drive
Upgraded to 8 GB RAM
Core i5 mobile processor installed (no gpu, uses the integrated graphics)
14" display (1366 x 768)

I bought the computer last summer for $700 and spent ~$150 upgrading it.

Solution

Okay, in that case, a cheap price might be 400 bucks. Since for 400 dollars you can pick up a cheap 15 inch laptop for very basic use. Compared to those laptops, yours is much faster CPU wise, and with a bigger HDD and RAM. So in this comparison, you are "giving" away all features above that 400 dollar comparison. This might be a good price to ask to get rid of the laptop fast.

Maxx_Power

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012
HPs don't have a high resale value compared to ThinkPads, Apple or ASUS. You can try for 600 bucks locally. People might give you offers at 500, take your best bet between that and 600. Does it still have warranty ?

DeadRam

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
Computers don't hold their value so don't expect much. A new core i5 laptop with similar specs costs around $700. You might be able to sell yours for $400-500 depending on the condition.

smartwind

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012
I'll probably sell it to a close friend or family member so I want a price that reflects the actual value of the computer - how much a store would sell it for. Then I'll take off $50 - $75 as a family discount.

Right now I'm thinking $450.

smartwind

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012

Does this account for upgrades done to the original system?

If so, I'm thinking $300.

Maxx_Power

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012
Try listing both locally and on eBay. If you want to list them in parallel that's fine. A laptop shouldn't have problems fetching good offers on local. You will also save all the fees associated with eBay and PayPal.

smartwind

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012

I already have someone in mind who might be interested - I just need to know what a good price would be.

Maxx_Power

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012

Well, if it is a friend or relative, my personal philosophy is to not make money from them. Either give it away if you can afford that as good will to them, or sell it for really cheap.

I still think 500 dollars might be reasonable with your upgrades and existent warranty.

smartwind

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012

In your opinion, what would be a cheap price?

Right now I'm thinking $300 - they're already thinking about getting a new laptop (general use) - and any laptop they're likely to get would be $600+ and perform at about the same level.

I'm not looking to make money - just to offset some of the cost of building a new system.

Maxx_Power

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012

Okay, in that case, a cheap price might be 400 bucks. Since for 400 dollars you can pick up a cheap 15 inch laptop for very basic use. Compared to those laptops, yours is much faster CPU wise, and with a bigger HDD and RAM. So in this comparison, you are "giving" away all features above that 400 dollar comparison. This might be a good price to ask to get rid of the laptop fast.

Solution
Hi :)

Sorry to sidetrack this thread a little but....

You are obviously in the US ...are you all saying that a US warranty will be able to be transferred to the person you sell this laptop to ???

In the UK, The Laptops I sell in my shops have a Manufacturers warranty for 1 year ...WITH THE ORIGINAL BUYER ONLY....

So if that buyer sells the laptop on TO ANYONE ELSE, the warranty is dead....

I didnt realise that was different in the US ????

All the best Brett :)

Maxx_Power

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012

To the best of my knowledge, warranties in the US and Canada are decided between the buyer and the manufacturer/seller. The manufacturer may choose to allow the warranty to transfer, and I have personally had no problems with Acer (transfer of warranty), Apple (transfer of warranty or extension), XFX (who used to explicitly offer transfer of warranty and life time, they call it double life time), EVGA, ASUS, off the top of my head on warranties I have had to call on for 2nd hand products.

I do know that there are large differences in the way European countries in general regulate their market place compared to North America, so what you are pointing out is not new, I suppose.

As another example, in some places in NA, car insurance is purchased per car, while other places, it is per driver. So two drivers for the same car = more total insurance (not exact double, but more than 1) where the insurance is per person. Depends on where you live for this to apply.

I think in general, market regulation is less uniform and governmental in North America, with the US being somewhat looser than Canada.

Hi :)

Thanks for that, very interesting....

Just one last question.... on computers or laptops or computer parts is the warranty a full year as it is in the UK, because i heard something about US warranties being only 90 days ??? Or is that incorrect ??

All the best Brett :)

smartwind

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012

There are varying types and lengths of warranties available - most products have a manufacturer's warranty - which I usually take to be their confidence in the product's reliability. Most stores have a 30 - 90 day reimbursement policy for damaged/defective goods outside of this warranty. The store selling the product may also offer more warranty options with varying degrees of coverage - sold separately.

As far as the manufacturer's warranty is concerned - I believe that so long as the product is still under warranty anyone can send it in to have it checked out.

Maxx_Power

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012

That is correct. There is a store warranty period (15 days to 90 days), manufacturer's warranty period (a few years tops) and additional warranty period such as provided by American Express (+1 year to total warranty, offered by AMEX's associates). They are all independent in coverage (most of the time, due to exclusion clauses).