How safe is using the fans at 100% while gaming on a laptop?

Maq___

Estimable
Nov 15, 2015
Hello,

I would like to ask you about your opinions,how safe is using the fans at full speed while gaming on a laptop?

Does it shorten the lifespan of the fans,and for how much time in hours without break per day is safe to use them at full speed while gaming?

Please give your opinions!

Best regards!

Solution
Running fans at max for hours at a time while gaming won't do any real harm, aside from increasing their energy consumption and noise output. Reference GPU coolers usually require fans rated for 50,000 hours or greater lifetime. As we all know the more you use it, the better the chance it will break. It also is a matter of luck of the draw. A fan can break at any time (anyone with a few computers will tell you this) but I personally don't worry about it as Ive only had one go on me after many years (and it was a cheap fan). In the end there is a better chance your unit will become obsolete before a fan breaks. Its really important to keep things clean and do regular maintenance. Maybe you should get a cooling pad if you don't have one...

bmw-vision

Estimable
Sep 8, 2015
The fans are designed to be a lifetime component, so it's hard to say exactly by how much they would last in this situation, but I would say you shouldn't have to worry about it.
It's also very abnormal to replace fans.

DarkEngine

Estimable
Oct 9, 2015
Running fans at max for hours at a time while gaming won't do any real harm, aside from increasing their energy consumption and noise output. Reference GPU coolers usually require fans rated for 50,000 hours or greater lifetime. As we all know the more you use it, the better the chance it will break. It also is a matter of luck of the draw. A fan can break at any time (anyone with a few computers will tell you this) but I personally don't worry about it as Ive only had one go on me after many years (and it was a cheap fan). In the end there is a better chance your unit will become obsolete before a fan breaks. Its really important to keep things clean and do regular maintenance. Maybe you should get a cooling pad if you don't have one and max those fans out instead. Good luck.

Solution

CBJ023

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013
Sorry for the thread bump but have some good info. I wouldn't worry about it. I was worried with my laptop (MSI GT60 Dominator 424 Pro) because it would throttle unless I manually enabled the turbo fan button which runs the fan at max. This meant any time I wanted to play games I had to have the fan on max.

I've been doing that for the 4 years I've had the laptop. I easily have 4,000 hours with the fan on max and 0 issues. I've had it run 8 hours non stop on max, no issues. The fans in laptops are built pretty damn well and hold up to some serious abuse. Happy gaming!