How to Add a Private Channel to a Roku 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
What I would like to know is when exactly the YouTube channel is going to be released for the older Roku models? I still have a bitter taste from Roku releasing the Roku 3 just after the 2012 holiday season, letting unsuspecting customers buy up the older models to find they were obsolete shortly after. I would love to own a Roku 3 for its features but I can't bring myself to throw more money at them so soon. That on top of the random reset issue that had not been addressed. And now owners of older models get slapped in the face again with the YouTube channel. I love my Roku but they are starting to look like a take the money and run company IMHO.

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Unfortunately 90%+ of all Roku content caters to a small niche, but at least their a open platform and have enough good content to appease the majority. Due to the lack of ISP competition and infrastructure in my area, all I can manage to stream is SD, and that is if I am the only one in the house trying to use the internet. It was said at CES in a CNET interview(cannot locate video anymore) that it is in the works for 2011 and later model Roku's but no indication exactly when that will happen. As for the hardware, I am more than positive that it can handle a YouTube app: TV's, Blu-Ray players, Phones, Chromecast, all can do it. Vimeo works just fine. Let's not forget all Roku's are made to do is steam content. If this doesn't happen it's a choice on Roku's part to milk customers willing to upgrade to get a YouTube channel. Which again IMHO is happening already and it is disheartening at the least. Just to get it out there, not so concerned because I want to watch the latest Bieber news or cat video. I would like to watch hobby, tech, instructional, educational content from the convenience of the TV and not be glued to the PC all the time. Looks like Tom's is doing more Roku 3 "articles"(aka advertisements) anyhow. Not looking good for either party.Sorry I am so off topic, just my thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.