How to cast Windows Mixed Reality VR from PC onto TV

TheYorkist

Estimable
May 21, 2015
Bit of context

I got a free Windows Mixed Reality VR headset with a gaming laptop which I found out doesn’t have a graphics card to run VR.

I do have a gaming PC which can but I want to be able to have the feed played on the big screen in the front room for everyone to see.

I’ve got my PC set up in my room which is close to the front room. Will I need to bring the tower into the front room and hook up the VR to the motherboard as the GPU will be fed to the tv via HDMI or is there a way to stream the feed from my own monitor into the front room?

Conveniently the TV in the front room blew up on us yesterday so if a smart TV is needed then we’re in the market for one anyway.

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

Solution
I'm not sure that what you want is technically possibly the way that you want it. The easiest way to make it happen is to just hook your PC up to the TV, using the TV as the primary display. Then it will be possible to display the video onto the TV.

When you have the WMR software up you'll see a play button arrow at the bottom center of the window. Click that and it will enable the video mirroring.

I mean, if you were just streaming and the VR player was still local to the PC then anything like a long HDMI cable or a SteamLink would work to just send the video, but if you want to be in the same room as the player, then you will have to move the desktop.

I might still not be grasping the problem here... but you could also use a...

justin.m.beauvais

Prominent
Dec 15, 2017
I'm not sure that what you want is technically possibly the way that you want it. The easiest way to make it happen is to just hook your PC up to the TV, using the TV as the primary display. Then it will be possible to display the video onto the TV.

When you have the WMR software up you'll see a play button arrow at the bottom center of the window. Click that and it will enable the video mirroring.

I mean, if you were just streaming and the VR player was still local to the PC then anything like a long HDMI cable or a SteamLink would work to just send the video, but if you want to be in the same room as the player, then you will have to move the desktop.

I might still not be grasping the problem here... but you could also use a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter to hook up the TV to the video card. Those are pretty cheap. You could run into issues trying to run software on two display adapters, I know I did.

Solution

justin.m.beauvais

Prominent
Dec 15, 2017

Well, the SteamLink actually just streams the desktop. You can minimize Steam's Big Picture mode and do anything on it. It works pretty well. I used it to stream video from my PC, so it will work for video with no problems provided your network connection is good. Either use it with wired network or a 5 GHz wireless connection if you just can't run a wire. If you try to do it with 2.4 GHz wireless, you are going to have a bad time.