how to configure a 5.1 home cinema set?

KNARF XD

Honorable
Nov 28, 2013
hello,

i have a home cinema set connected to my pc (toslink > converter > coaxial) and it is in 5.1, but i cant really hear the rear speakers, the volume of those is too low, is there a way to adjust the volumes in windows, or do i need to do it by connecting a tv to it and search through the settings(which i already did, nothing found. but i can search again :) )
any ideas and suggestions are welcome :)

Solution
if you have a home theater set (with receiver control box) then it should have its own settings menu where you can adjust such things.

KNARF XD

Honorable
Nov 28, 2013

so nothing in windows right?

if you are using a home theater system and want the changes to be universal across both your pc input and other peripherals to all use this setting then yes, it would be on the receiver.

now there IS a setting within windows you can adjust. i am not sure if it is the exact same for optical (i use hdmi) but under..
sound> playback devices> properties > levels > balance
there are some options to change your front to rear balancing (you can lower the fronts and keep the rear on 100%) and while this isnt a perfect fix it will accomplish what you wanted.

the only trouble is that if you ever get a source playing that doesnt have the rear channels at a lower volume things might sound a bit off such as movies and some games. in many cases the game or movie itself is what is outputting a lower volume for the rear (provided you dont have any screwy balance settings changed on your receiver) as i've noted many times rear volume is low myself but only on certain games or sources. you can adjust it out but i'm not sure if its worthwhile to unless it affects 100% of what you do.

The optical output will not have separate channel volume controls associated with it since the 5.1 channel signal is being decoded outside the PC. The balance will need to be set in the home cinema set. The speaker levels are determined by the sound engineer and director. When you balance the system to produce equal volume through each channel this calibrates your system to the sound engineers. If the there nothing at all from the rears then turning the volume up will not product any sound only increase the level when there is sound.