How to configure an hdmi switcher from a TV with no audio output to a soundbar

moorebd

Estimable
Aug 31, 2015
I have a Samsung TV without an audio output, a cable box (Dish), a Vizio soundbar, and "J-Tech Digital ® HDMI 1.4 Switch Switcher Box Selector 3 In 1 Out HDMI Audio Extractor Splitter with Optical SPDIF & RCA L/R Audio Out & Remote Control Supports ARC, MHL, Ultra HD, Full 3D, 4kx2k, 1080P (3x1 Ultra HD)". In simple terms, how do I configure these components to get sound from my TV to the soundbar via the hdmi switcher? Which cables, ins & outs, switcher settings, tv settings? I appreciate any assistance - not a techie and this is kicking my butt.

Solution
If your TV doesn't have an HDMI -ARC input then you would connect the Dish box (and any other sources) to the HDMI switcher via HDMI. Connect the switcher to an HDMI input on the TV. Connect the correct audio output of the switcher to the soundbar. This could be an toslink optical or RCA analog cable depending on what kind of inputs the Vizio has (toslink would be preferred). You select your source using the switcher and adjust volume with the soundbar.
If you TV does have an HDMI-ARC input then connect the switcher output to that input on the TV. Connect the Dish box the another HDMI input on the TV. Turn on ARC in the TV menu and perhaps on the swticher. Most switchers that extract audio from HDMI will only output ARC via...
If your TV doesn't have an HDMI -ARC input then you would connect the Dish box (and any other sources) to the HDMI switcher via HDMI. Connect the switcher to an HDMI input on the TV. Connect the correct audio output of the switcher to the soundbar. This could be an toslink optical or RCA analog cable depending on what kind of inputs the Vizio has (toslink would be preferred). You select your source using the switcher and adjust volume with the soundbar.
If you TV does have an HDMI-ARC input then connect the switcher output to that input on the TV. Connect the Dish box the another HDMI input on the TV. Turn on ARC in the TV menu and perhaps on the swticher. Most switchers that extract audio from HDMI will only output ARC via optical audio so you would have to use that audio connection from the switcher to the Vizio and select it as your input on the soundbar. You select your source with the TV and adjust volume from the soundbar.

Solution