How to connect a newer HDTV to a DVD recorder so that it will record from the TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kville

Commendable
Sep 4, 2016
I have a newer Insignia HDTV and I can get my DVD recorder to play, but not record. There is no way to connect the antenna to the DVD, but I can connect it to an older VCR and pass a signal through to the TV, but that won't record off the TV either. How can I get either the DVD or VCR to record from the TV. The TV has HDMI access, as does the DVD. It also has all the usual composite and component connections. How can I record off of my TV?

Solution
You never could record from the TV tuner itself but you could share the antenna with the TV and record directly to the tuner in the recorder.
The tuner in your VCR is not digital so won't work with ATSC over the air TV. You could get an outboard digital tuner to use with the recorder but some of them come with a PVR function built in. You add a USB drive for storage. Programming would be a lot simpler since the recorder could not change channels for you.
https://www.amazon.com/Mediasonic-HW-150PVR-HomeWorx-Converter-Recording/dp/B00I2ZBD1U
You could then connect the output to the recorder if you wanted a hard copy. You could edit the commercials out too, Would not be HD though.
The signal given to the TV is not shared, it uses it to display it on its own screen and that's it, TV very selfish.

In order to record today's digital broadcasts you need a DVR (Digital Video Recorder), this box either (1)takes the signal from the cable provider via HDMI, or (2)take an antenna input and has (the DVR) its own ATSC tuner (essentially a TV without the screen).

The short answer is, if you were expecting to hookup your current components in some fashion and BAM! you will be dissapointed.

You never could record from the TV tuner itself but you could share the antenna with the TV and record directly to the tuner in the recorder.
The tuner in your VCR is not digital so won't work with ATSC over the air TV. You could get an outboard digital tuner to use with the recorder but some of them come with a PVR function built in. You add a USB drive for storage. Programming would be a lot simpler since the recorder could not change channels for you.
https://www.amazon.com/Mediasonic-HW-150PVR-HomeWorx-Converter-Recording/dp/B00I2ZBD1U
You could then connect the output to the recorder if you wanted a hard copy. You could edit the commercials out too, Would not be HD though.

Solution

Snagglepuss2

Estimable
Oct 17, 2016

Snagglepuss2

Estimable
Oct 17, 2016
ONLY WORKS with AV cables which are red, white & yellow. Does NOT work with Component or HDMI cables.

You have to use cable (red, white & yellow) on back of your TV, the other end into the back of your DVD recorder (red, white & yellow) INPUT sockets that are the same colours. If you have 2 AV's at the back of DVD Recorder, you will have to try them both to view which works (If it doesn't work on the top than use the bottom).

On your DVD remote press INPUT button and chose AV 1, if that doesn't work try AV 2, (only have to do this on DVD remote 1 time when setting up) and also on TV remote press SOURCEor whatever button you have to select AV1 or AV2 than you can record.

Once you see the MENU for the DVD Recorder on screen you have to pick HOME button, SETTINGS button or whatever button whereby you scan all the channels (usually the option is states AUTOMATIC once you are there. I've done this for 10 years on all my TV's and it works wonderful. Presently I have a Smart TV and LG DVD Recorder and also a Samsung Recorder and the above works on both the same way.

I've tried Components and HMDI cables and can view what I recorded but both are not able to record TV program onto DVD Recorder hard drive. Note, some channels do not allow you to record since the TV station has encrypted them (if encrypted on my DVD recorder it tell me "can't record")

I turn on TV and DVD recorder, than go to the channel I want to record on TV and press record on DVD Recorder remote and it works, recording program to DVD Hard Drive. To view program I recorded than I MUST press on TV remote whatever button to view AV than press MENU on DVD recorder to play or do other functions.

Status
Not open for further replies.