How to connect home theater speakers to PC.

Pratyay67

Estimable
Aug 27, 2014
We had a nice sony home theater that we bought back in 2009. It ran pretty well, until now.
Now the amplifier is screwed, and runs erratic sometimes. I think it has got a month or so left until it finally says goodbye.

So, when the amplifier dies, I am left with a 5.1 speaker system with no amplifier.
I was thinking maybe I could put them to use by connecting them to my PC. I was thinking of getting my PC a sound system sooner or later.

How can I connect the home theater speakers so that they run from my PC? Or can I run them at all on my PC?

The speakers have twisted pair cables that run from the amplifier itself.

Solution
Yes of course you can plug in your PC to the amplifier! It looks like this: PC -> Amp -> Speakers. When you plug in your computer make sure you plug it in to one of the inputs. As for a product suggestion, I don't have a home theater setup, but from what it looks I think you're gonna need around $200 USD for a GOOD 5.1 receiver / amplifier. This one looks pretty good, #2 best seller on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V379BL-5-1-Channel-Receiver-Bluetooth/dp/B00V5VJ3TM/ref=zg_bs_14269301_2

The_Man12

Estimable
Mar 22, 2014
Nah mate. You need an amplifier to run those speakers. You see, the computer won't be able to provide enough power to them to make them even produce sound, they need energy to function. For example, you see how all computer sound systems have to be plugged in to a power source and to the computer? It's because of the built-in amplifier in them. The audio goes through the amplifier and then through the speakers. :)

sizzling

Distinguished
Well the sub would definitely need a new Amp to work. The satellite speakers might work driven directly off a 5.1 soundcard depending if their impedance and power ratings are low but you would need to solder on 3.5mm phono sockets onto the speaker cables. Really you need a new amp

Pratyay67

Estimable
Aug 27, 2014

Well, then I'm really outta luck here; I have to buy a new amplifier. I don't want to dedicate it again just for home theater purposes, I will probably get myself a new, a bit more expensive home theater system. So, if I buy that amplifier alone, I want to keep it with my PC only. Can the amplifier along with the speakers be connected to the PC, so that I can directly play from the PC?

The_Man12

Estimable
Mar 22, 2014
Yes of course you can plug in your PC to the amplifier! It looks like this: PC -> Amp -> Speakers. When you plug in your computer make sure you plug it in to one of the inputs. As for a product suggestion, I don't have a home theater setup, but from what it looks I think you're gonna need around $200 USD for a GOOD 5.1 receiver / amplifier. This one looks pretty good, #2 best seller on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V379BL-5-1-Channel-Receiver-Bluetooth/dp/B00V5VJ3TM/ref=zg_bs_14269301_2

Solution