How to connect laptop to lcd tv & home theater?

esijay

Estimable
Sep 13, 2015
Ive an lcd tv with 1hdmi port only (no optical port,RGB port only) & i usually connect my laptop to tv via hdmi. Im planning to buy a 5.1 LG 6530 home theater & i wanna ask,how do i connect my laptop to tv (for displaying the video) while the sound comes out thru the home theater?

Solution
yeah, most TVs have a separate audio input other than HDMI for surround sound options. but if not, should be easy to run home theater through headphone jack of your laptop and then choose that output through Control Panel > Sound. not sure how the surround options will work through that port though. probably better off getting a newer HDTV with all the ports you need.

raisonjohn

Estimable
Herald
Feb 22, 2015
Connect the Laptop via HDMI to your 5.1 Home Theater, then, your 5.1 Home Theater via HDMI to your TV.

Just in case that Home Theater does not have an HDMI input. Then,

Connect the Laptop via HDMI to your TV, then, your TV via Audio Output Jacks to your 5.1 Home Theater

GObonzo

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
yeah, most TVs have a separate audio input other than HDMI for surround sound options. but if not, should be easy to run home theater through headphone jack of your laptop and then choose that output through Control Panel > Sound. not sure how the surround options will work through that port though. probably better off getting a newer HDTV with all the ports you need.

Solution