How to connect legacy wire speakers to receiver

jamok99

Estimable
Nov 30, 2014
I have a good number of legacy speakers with wire output and want to connect them to a receiver(s), as the speakers (wire output only) are still great. Actually, it brings up a number of questions, as I have 2 receivers in mind: 1. If some of the inputs on an older receiver have rca cable female inputs, will/how badly will that degrade sound quality. 2. I have various sound output devices (computer, 4k Samsung TV, etc.) That I can probably connect with whatever works wire connection, but my receivers have no HDMI input, and no modern device connections (well, some have SPDIF). I see a lot of receivers whose specs say 'HDMI pass through'. Am I right that I need a new receiver, that has an HDMI pass trough connection, to get a good, or in some component outputs (like speakers) no inputs but wires, as there's no other work-around with the older receivers I have. (Again, I'm thinking that if my receiver has an audio SPDIF input/output, that's as good as it will get.) Sorry for any typos/grammar mistakes. And thanks!

Solution
RCA was and continues to be a very good standard for audio and video. Good does not mean Great. But in this sence the sound should be more than acceptable.

HDMI - a digital media interface - had more bandwidth and ability than RCA. Sound and video can move over the same wire bundle - so it also provides a good clean install.

I believe that is is possible to daisy chain multiple recieves togheter so long as they all have HDMI Passthrough. In theory there would be degridation even in the best pass through - but you won't notice it as you are jamming to your Pat Boone records at 20 gazillion watts of power.

Also - keep in mind that by connecting speakers together in a combination of series and parallel circuits - you can keep the...

avarice

Distinguished
May 10, 2006
RCA was and continues to be a very good standard for audio and video. Good does not mean Great. But in this sence the sound should be more than acceptable.

HDMI - a digital media interface - had more bandwidth and ability than RCA. Sound and video can move over the same wire bundle - so it also provides a good clean install.

I believe that is is possible to daisy chain multiple recieves togheter so long as they all have HDMI Passthrough. In theory there would be degridation even in the best pass through - but you won't notice it as you are jamming to your Pat Boone records at 20 gazillion watts of power.

Also - keep in mind that by connecting speakers together in a combination of series and parallel circuits - you can keep the impedence to a range where you won't damage either your speakers or your amp. However to get good volume you will still need a good amount of wattage per channel.

A single 8 ohm speaker will create 8 ohms of of resistance. Simple. Take two of those in parallel - the resistance is halfed - to 4 ohms. Very low for most amps. Take tow in series and the resistance is 16 ohms - quite high really.

NOW - do a parallel/series version of this with 4 speakers and you can get back to 8 ohms of resistance.

Good luck.

Solution