How to connect PS4 to Creative sound blaster Z

Dimitris Kiriakou

Estimable
Sep 19, 2014
Hello,
I have a creative sound blaster z sound card to my pc, a Sony STR-KSL40 receiver and a PS4. How I manage to connect PS4 to sound card (creative Z) and from there to the receiver. I want to pass through the sound from my PS4 to my creative z sound card and from there to my receiver. Steps I tried was to connect PS4 with an optical cable to optical in slot (creative z) and another optical cable from optical out slot (creative z) to the receiver. I think this is the right combination. But which settings may I tweak from my pc? Maybe iam doing this all wrong.

Thanks in advance

Solution
I found the solution! You must go to Playback Devices> Recording> Digital in> Listen> tick “listen to this device”. In PS4 you must set the audio to optical out and select only PCM. Now your PS4 audio goes to Soundcard on your pc and then in your receiver or headphones or speakers. Of course your pc will be turned on all the time, but it is very convenient when for example you use headphones for audio source because you don’t have to switch from PC to your PS4!
Well...in that case...it sounds like you have it connected up right.

I don't how you would configure the software....but definitely somewhere you have configure the sound card to look at the optical input....but obviously you already know that.

Dimitris Kiriakou

Estimable
Sep 19, 2014
I found the solution! You must go to Playback Devices> Recording> Digital in> Listen> tick “listen to this device”. In PS4 you must set the audio to optical out and select only PCM. Now your PS4 audio goes to Soundcard on your pc and then in your receiver or headphones or speakers. Of course your pc will be turned on all the time, but it is very convenient when for example you use headphones for audio source because you don’t have to switch from PC to your PS4!

Solution

The signal over the optical cable is all digital - your soundcard' amp (analogue) and dac (analogue-to-digital converter) have nothing to do with it.

gamerk316

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008

^^This. If you're doing PS4 -> Optical -> Soundcard -> Optical -> Receiver, then there's no benefit to going through the Soundcard; the signal is just getting passed through untouched.