How to connect speaker system to a TV without 3.5mm jack? Which adaptors to use?

Apr 6, 2018
Hello everyone.

So, I have bought a LG television (LED 32LJ610V) which does not have a 3.5mm jack output, but only an optical audio output. I already own (from a previous TV installation) a Logitech Z313 speaker system, which has a single 3.5mm input connector. So, I'm trying to figure out what is the best possible way to make them both work together.

I initially bought a RCA to 3.5mm adaptor, so I could connect the RCA cables to the TV and the speaker 3.5mm to the adaptor. As it turns out, the RCA in the television are audio input, not output, so this solution does not work.

I was also thinking about getting a Digital to Analog audio converter and plug my 3.5mm directly to it, but I was told that as my speakers do not have an amplifier, it wouldn't work.

So, would it be possible to connect the TV to the Digital-Analog converter using optical audio cables, and then connecting the speakers to the converter using the RCA to 3.5mm adaptor? Would it work without the speakers having an amplifier?

Basically, something like this:

TV <-- Optical audio cable --> Digital to Analog converter <-- RCA to 3.5mm adaptor --> Speaker system

What do you think? Has anyone tried something like this? Would you suggest a better, alternative solution? (beyond buying a new non-3.5mm system, that is)?

Solution
Your speakers DO have an amplifier, in the SUB. The DAC you listed might work or might not. The TV may only output 5.1 on the optical. If so you need a DAC like this one -- https://www.amazon.com/Optical-Toslink-Coaxial-Digital-Converter/dp/B01DZXWHJA/ This one will handle either stereo or multi-channel and output L/R RCA. That can then be converted to 3.5mm.

kanewolf

Judicious
Your speakers DO have an amplifier, in the SUB. The DAC you listed might work or might not. The TV may only output 5.1 on the optical. If so you need a DAC like this one -- https://www.amazon.com/Optical-Toslink-Coaxial-Digital-Converter/dp/B01DZXWHJA/ This one will handle either stereo or multi-channel and output L/R RCA. That can then be converted to 3.5mm.

Solution
Apr 6, 2018

Thanks for your answer. If the speakers do have an amplifier (and it seems like they do), would I not have the problem of being unable to change or mute the TV audio using the TV's own remote? I've been reading reviews and comments on the DAC you've linked as well as a few others and many mention they were afterwards unable to change the volume with the controller, being limited to the speakers' volume controller. I seem to recall this would not be an issue if the speakers already have an amplifier. Do you happen to know about it?

kanewolf

Judicious

That is probably true, many TVs output a constant volume signal on the optical output. They assume that the amplifier will control the volume.