How to connect, Video from Dell Laptop (HDMI), and Sound from Dell Laptop to Sony Surround System (RCA)??

josephenry

Estimable
Aug 20, 2015
Ok guys, here we go.

I have a Sony Surround System which reproduces DVD (Yellow RCA connection into the TV), and reproduces the sound from the DVD.

Then I have a Dell Laptop which can be connected to the Samsung 46" by using HDMI.

When I connect the Dell Laptop to the Sony Surround System using white and red RCA cables to a 3.5mm sound plug into the laptop, I can play music and audio from the Laptop.

However, when I plug the HDMI Cable, this cable seems to be the governor over the cables system and the sound cuts from the Surround and you start hearing the audio from the TV.

Solution
Hi,

You need to set the default Playback device in your case because it seems like HDMI becomes the default playback device right away when you plug it in. Here are the steps to do this,
- Right click on the speaker icon on the bottom right of your screen and select Playback Devices.
- Once it's open you'll see 2 devices in it (HDMI and the 3.5 Audio) right click on the other Audio device not the HDMI then select Set as Default.
- Click Apply and OK then try to play again and should come out to your other audio device not in the TV.
Hi,

You need to set the default Playback device in your case because it seems like HDMI becomes the default playback device right away when you plug it in. Here are the steps to do this,
- Right click on the speaker icon on the bottom right of your screen and select Playback Devices.
- Once it's open you'll see 2 devices in it (HDMI and the 3.5 Audio) right click on the other Audio device not the HDMI then select Set as Default.
- Click Apply and OK then try to play again and should come out to your other audio device not in the TV.

Solution