How to connect vintage bookshelf speakers to PC?

Ruppe

Estimable
Jul 26, 2014
Hi.

I bought a nice pair of vintage speakers (Technics SB-F2), and I'm wanting to connect them to my PC. I have no idea of how to go about doing this. From what I've researched so far, it looks like I need a receiver or amp I think...?

The only connections on the back of the speakers are raw wire, so they're not powered.

I'm on a pretty tight budget, so the cheaper, the better. (I usually end up buying used from eBay though).

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Thanks,

Hunter

Solution
I would look at Craigslist for your area. $25-40 should get you a 5.1 AV Receiver that will allow you to upgrade and use surround if you want, as well a adding a sub. Google a model you think might be decent and see what reviews you can find. Some names in that price range to watch for would be Sony, Pioneer, Denon,..
Here's an example near you : https://charlotte.craigslist.org/ele/6069307521.html

dudio

Admirable
You are correct, you'd need an amp/receiver (something to power the speakers).
Your best bet is to look at local classified ads for used stuff (newspaper, kijiji.com , craigslist) or a store that deals in used electronics. You don't need much of an amp, since those speakers can handle 50 watts of power at the max. You can get a simple amp/receiver that only does stereo if you only plan to run the 2 speakers. Most amplifiers like that have RCA style inputs, and you would need a 3.5mm stereo cable to two RCA Male connectors to connect the PC to the amp. They typically come in 3, 6, 10, 15 foot lengths and can be sourced from eBay or a local computer/stereo shop cheaply.

Ruppe

Estimable
Jul 26, 2014

Thanks for the response. Do you know of any cheaper options though? Maybe something with less connections. I would like to add a sub later on, but I really don't need most of what that thing is offering.

Ruppe

Estimable
Jul 26, 2014

I really appreciate all the info! Do you have any recommendations for a simple amp/receiver? Alexoiu mentioned one that seems good enough, but it's still a bit pricey, and it has a lot more than what I'm needing.

Ruppe

Estimable
Jul 26, 2014

That seems like it would work perfectly. The only question I have is, would this be able to power the Technics SB-F2 sufficiently?

No problem.
Then something like http://www.ebay.com/itm/Onkyo-TX-8011-2-Channel-100-Watt-Receiver-/272617421865?hash=item3f7943bc29:g:YmgAAOSwZ1BXcgCk

Ruppe

Estimable
Jul 26, 2014

Clovis559

Commendable
May 12, 2016
Garage Sale even. This could be your stepping stone to surround.
If were' really trying to be this frugal, you could find an old Logitech Sub, if it had the controller all you would need would be RCA to Open wire, and a little prayer...

Dugimodo

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
When you are sitting in front of it 20W is plenty, enough to fill a small room with noise and loud enough to listen to around the house. An audio review I read said most music is listened to at 10W or less. Bear in mind doubling the power is a barely audible volume difference so 100W is nowhere near 5 times as loud as 20W. The human ear is not a li ear device.

Ruppe

Estimable
Jul 26, 2014

Unfortunately not. I'm only 16, so don't really have anything. lol

Ruppe

Estimable
Jul 26, 2014

Really appreciate all the time you spent to help me! I'll definitely take your suggestion & try to find a local one.