How to convert mp4 files to dvd reading capability? Ie mpeg1

Status
Not open for further replies.

boronbrenner

Estimable
Jan 2, 2015
I have a number of dvds that I have burned onto my computer so I did not need to travel with them. However, I am now moved and do not have my old DVDs and wanted to burn a copy for a friend. How do I convert mp4 files to mpeg1? This is the format his dvd player is in.

If there is a simpler way or a dvd player in the US that will play Mp4 files I would gladly like to know.

ingtar33

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
a little know feature of itunes, is it can convert music files into pretty much any format you want to use. drag them into itunes, convert to desired format, then copy it out of itunes back to your destination disk.

g-unit1111

Distinguished
Just to be clear, Tom's Hardware does not support piracy under any circumstance. Ripping DVDs for personal use is OK but that's a fine line.

You can use a program like Handbrake or Pavtop Chewtune to converrt DVDs but even then the playback is kind of choppy at best. Depends on your device.

• ■DVD video format is MPEG2. MPEG1 was used in the ancient Video CD format.
    ■MP4 is a wrapper that combines a bunch of different files (video, audio, subtitles, chapters, etc) into one.. It can contain a variety of different video and audio formats, including MPEG4 and H.264. So whether a DVD player can play MP4 files isn't the question you want to ask. It's whether it can play MPEG4 and/or H.264 (those being the most common video formats after MPEG2) in a MP4 wrapper.
    ■Many Smart TVs and streaming media players like a Roku support the MP4, MPEG4, and H.264 formats. Are you sure it won't be easier just to copy the movies to a USB flash drive and plug it into one of these devices?
    ■Everything you wanted to know about video conversion, including conversion tools (free and pay) and making DVDs, can be found on this site: http://www.videohelp.com/convert#4;10
    ■Burning copies of your DVDs for a friend is piracy.

Status
Not open for further replies.